Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brighton Speed Trials, I want to run my 458 Italia ????

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Default Brighton Speed Trials, I want to run my 458 Italia ????

Hi, I went to the Brighton Speed Trials las weekent 7 Sept and I got the bug so want to run my 458 there next year ?? has anyone run theirs there ??, I think someone said you need a Competition Licence so how does one go about getting one of these ??, it would be a great time to try out the Launch Control ??, so as I have never tried the Launch on mine any help or advice would be appreciated, from what I understand before you do a Launch you have to do a practice one first so the Computer knows how much grip you have and then you do your run, and if you switch off your engine the for next run you have to repeat the practice Launch, also how do you manage to stay out of the rev limiter in first gear as it accelerates so quick in first gear and if you hit the rev limiter you will lose a lot of time ?? again any advice appreciated, also should I get some rear slicks ?? which would help with traction off the line, and I assume it would be the Race setting on the Little Switch on the steering wheel, also it would be nice if some others were to join me, it is a great day out, Regards DM

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Hi, I went to the Brighton Speed Trials las weekent 7 Sept and I got the bug so want to run my 458 there next year ?? has anyone run theirs there ??, I think someone said you need a Competition Licence so how does one go about getting one of these ??, it would be a great time to try out the Launch Control ??, so as I have never tried the Launch on mine any help or advice would be appreciated, from what I understand before you do a Launch you have to do a practice one first so the Computer knows how much grip you have and then you do your run, and if you switch off your engine the for next run you have to repeat the practice Launch, also how do you manage to stay out of the rev limiter in first gear as it accelerates so quick in first gear and if you hit the rev limiter you will lose a lot of time ?? again any advice appreciated, also should I get some rear slicks ?? which would help with traction off the line, and I assume it would be the Race setting on the Little Switch on the steering wheel, also it would be nice if some others were to join me, it is a great day out, Regards DM

think you're right about the launch control needing 2 goes however my experience is you can do it manually better. If you do use launch it upshifts automatically so you just leave your foot buried in the carpet and it does the rest. Not sure slicks will help as they wont be hot enough, consider some of the Michelin Cups or similar

sssdu01 is online now No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I would be very wary about running different tyres front and rear, as it may create some balance issues, which may confuse the traction control. If you want to turn it off, but dont try it at Brighton as from memory their isnt any safety run off area, either side !! Bruntigthorpe would be a better option to practice with the traction control off as the runway is about 100 meters wide

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I would be very wary about running different tyres front and rear, as it may create some balance issues, which may confuse the traction control. If you want to turn it off, but dont try it at Brighton as from memory their isnt any safety run off area, either side !! Bruntigthorpe would be a better option to practice with the traction control off as the runway is about 100 meters wide
    I'd second this. If you want to go drag racing I'd say a typical public weekend at Santa Pod would be a better option. Unless I was absolutely confident in the equipment, I'm not sure I'd want to try launch control on slicks in a car that could make an extremely expensive bang
    (I've spent plenty of time at the drag strip!)

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I'd second this. If you want to go drag racing I'd say a typical public weekend at Santa Pod would be a better option. Unless I was absolutely confident in the equipment, I'm not sure I'd want to try launch control on slicks in a car that could make an extremely expensive bang
    (I've spent plenty of time at the drag strip!)
    Hi Thanks, I do not understand what difference slicks will will make to launch and create a expensive bang ?? surely the more grip I have the quicker I can get away at the start, which is what it is all about ??, Regards DM

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    think you're right about the launch control needing 2 goes however my experience is you can do it manually better. If you do use launch it upshifts automatically so you just leave your foot buried in the carpet and it does the rest. Not sure slicks will help as they wont be hot enough, consider some of the Michelin Cups or similar
    Hi Thanks, from what I understand Launch only works in Manual mode so it does not upshift automatically ?? surely slicks will have the same chance or better of getting hotter than std P7,s Regards DM

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Hi Thanks, as I would be only going in a straight line I cannot see what difference having slicks on the rear will make to traction control to confuse it, and no I wouldn't turn Traction control off, Regards DM

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Hi Thanks, I do not understand what difference slicks will will make to launch and create a expensive bang ?? surely the more grip I have the quicker I can get away at the start, which is what it is all about ??, Regards DM
    I think the concern is, will you be able to get the tyres up to operating temperature before you do your runs; else they will be some what slippery.

I believe the 458 has tyre temp monitors; but are they calibrated to the operating temp for slicks?

Power delivery on a car is not linear with respect to directional axis on the car and there is always an amount of rotational moment, so slippery tyres + lead foot =rotation of car and potential back end out! Think front wheel drive and torque steer. (Iím sure more clever people will correct me!)

Lots of videos of people with lead feet in slippery conditions smashing the back end off. (Some guy did it to a Lamborghini this year at an hr Owen cars and coffee; not clever; but Iím certainly not going to throw any stones here!!!! )

Anyway; a big public event like this is not the place to try all this out for the first time; unless you really wish to become a YouTube star; it will only end one way!!

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Hi Thanks, from what I understand Launch only works in Manual mode so it does not upshift automatically ?? surely slicks will have the same chance or better of getting hotter than std P7,s Regards DM
    definitely auto upshift in launch mode

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I think the concern is, will you be able to get the tyres up to operating temperature before you do your runs; else they will be some what slippery.

I believe the 458 has tyre temp monitors; but are they calibrated to the operating temp for slicks?

Power delivery on a car is not linear with respect to directional axis on the car and there is always an amount of rotational moment, so slippery tyres + lead foot =rotation of car and potential back end out! Think front wheel drive and torque steer. (Iím sure more clever people will correct me!)

Lots of videos of people with lead feet in slippery conditions smashing the back end off. (Some guy did it to a Lamborghini this year at an hr Owen cars and coffee; not clever; but Iím certainly not going to throw any stones here!!!! )

Anyway; a big public event like this is not the place to try all this out for the first time; unless you really wish to become a YouTube star; it will only end one way!!

I would think a cold slick will still be better than a cold P7 ??,
    I have floored mine in the wet and all that happens is a little squirm before the traction control takes control and limits the power, and hopefully if it was wet I would not take part.
    I have no problem becoming a YouTube star ??? Regards DM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast