Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 348 dead (ish)

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Default 348 dead (ish)

Went to start the 348 today, and nothing. Doesn't crank over.

All the lights, heater, door locks etc work. I've charged the battery up and that appears to be fine.

So my initially thought was the Immobilizer. Its had a basic one installed,now out!! Only 7 wires to trace and remove and one 348 wire to resplice! Hopefully I've done it correctly. There is an odd red wire on the + buzz bar behind the fuse panel, that I'm not sure about that the immobiliser spliced onto.

Anybody got some clever suggestions? (Oher than pay somebody to fix it!!)

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

When you turn the key to start do you hear a click like a relay?

Edit: Sorry, see all other electrics work.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 09-08-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Name
    Adrian

Yup, relays seem to click.

Doing a bit more research...does this sound like the need for starter relay mod?

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

Doing a bit more research...does this sound like the need for starter relay mod?
    Step 1 could just be starter Adrian, I think you can get to it easily, with ignition off take a jump lead/ wire and short the large to small blade terminal on the back if the starter fires in and turns you'll know it's OK

If it's OK first I'd try the starter relay mod (commonly needed on Caterham's too👍)

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

It might. Normally the immobiliser is wired so the relay doesnít click if the immobiliser has been triggered so if you hear the click it possibly/ probably isnít the immobiliser.

Have you tried jumping it to the rear points (ie positive terminal in the engine bay and part of the chassis)?

My thought if youíre getting a click from the starter relay is either a starter motor fault or insufficient power from the battery. If it starts when jumped itís probably the latter. That could be caused by a dead battery or just a poor connection. A voltmeter directly on the terminals should show you which it is.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    It might. Normally the immobiliser is wired so the relay doesn’t click if the immobiliser has been triggered so if you hear the click it possibly/ probably isn’t the immobiliser.

Have you tried jumping it to the rear points (ie positive terminal in the engine bay and part of the chassis)?

My thought if you’re getting a click from the starter relay is either a starter motor fault or insufficient power from the battery. If it starts when jumped it’s probably the latter. That could be caused by a dead battery or just a poor connection. A voltmeter directly on the terminals should show you which it is.
    Always worth checking battery voltage. I had a similar fault with my 355 earlier this year. Lights etc worked but wouldn’t start. Turned out to be the battery charger/ maintainer. Battery was virtually empty but had enough voltage to work everything apart from pull the starter solenoid in. Used another charger and every thing was fine after the battery was charged up.
    Last edited by Ian355; 10-08-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Just to add, even if a battery shows a decent voltage with a multimeter, it doesn't always mean it's good. When our 360 battery died the voltage was correct, also the ctek showed it as charged but it would even click let alone turn over. A new battery, all sorted.

Just make sure you have the car out of gear if you try and test the starter. An easy mistake to make!

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Just to add, even if a battery shows a decent voltage with a multimeter, it doesn't always mean it's good. When our 360 battery died the voltage was correct, also the ctek showed it as charged but it would even click let alone turn over. A new battery, all sorted.

Just make sure you have the car out of gear if you try and test the starter. An easy mistake to make!
    I suspect your ctek was just reading the surface charge. Before doing a voltage check make sure the battery is fully charged then turn on some electrical load such as headlights for a short time. What you will see is a high voltage just after the charger is turned off, next the voltage will drop when the load is turned on. With a good battery the voltage should then level out after a couple of minutes. Check the voltage at this point with no load and you should see about 12.6 or 12.7v if you have a good fully charged battery.
    Mine dropped to 12 v. or just below because my charger was faulty so the battery was almost flat.
    Battery was fine after charging with a different charger.

Name
    Adrian

Cheers all; appreciated.

Put the battery on charge overnight. First turn of the key this morning, a few clicks and clunks but nothing; second turn of the key started up. Ran fine for a bit then through a hissy fit and died.

Bit of pocking around at the fuse panel and few turns of the key, a few more hissy fits and it would seem the relay for the LH fuel injection was not happy. I've swapped this out, and it seems ok ish. A few coughs etc. (Not sure I've swapped it for the right one yet, diagrams match, just need to check numbers.)

Think it needs:
    a) an Italian service!!! (So if its starts fine later I'll take it to Haynes tomorrow);
    b) replace all the relays (I know there is a thread here on this so will have to do some digging);
    c) fit the hot start relay;
    d) sort out the electrics at the fuse panel. There have clearly been a few immobilisers fitted over the years, so a few splices. Most look like they have been soldered so should be fine; but will take a bit to go through.
    e) pop all the connectors in the engine compartment and make sure they are clean and dry.
    f) probably fit a new battery. Not had issues before, but they don't last for ever and I'm not sure of the age on this one.
    g) fit a trickle charger.

Nice little list for the winter; especially as I hate electrics

Name
    ian

I always carried a long piece of wire to connect from battery to starter motor terminal... i went thru loads possible cause of oroblem, there is a longterm fix but i just used the wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast