Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric conversion of a classic Ferrari. Would you?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Electric conversion of a classic Ferrari. Would you?

Is it inevitable that given enough time this is where we'll all end up? If the recent direction of travel regarding society's opinions on climate change continues, or more likely accelerates, to a point where noisy petrol cars are effectively socially unacceptable, do you think there'll be a time where you'd consider this?

I've seen the electric 308 in vids before but I've never seen how they did it. I know it's sacrilege and I'll likely get banned for saying this but the conversion is a lot neater than I expected. Keeping the interior the same with just a small touch screen showing electric data etc is a great idea, as is giving it the performance of a modern supercar. When everyone else is whispering past in electric cars (if that is indeed the future) then the lack of engine noise will probably seem a lot less odd.

I'm not exactly a fan, but if fully electric becomes inevitable I'd be tempted to do it rather than bin my old Ferrari. The space in the engine bay of a 348 would actually make it easier to do than in the 308 I'd think.

Right, I'm off to ban myself - just realised that I'm a moderator so I'll have to do it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdu6k3Sdqw&autoplay=0

Name
    Pete

Name
    Pete

Name
    Pete

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

All I'm going to say about this is.....(else I'll get banned for sure)

Name:  elec.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  81.3 KB

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    All I'm going to say about this is.....(else I'll get banned for sure)
    Yep, I've seen that as well; an electric charge point running on a diesel generator - the world has indeed gone mad.

But I can see a time when converting to electric or literally throwing your car away is the choice. Perhaps I'm being a pessimist but I can see it happening. Tell people in the 70s or 80s that smoking would become socially unacceptable to the extent that it would be banned in all public indoor places and they'd have laughed. Some cities in the US are now banning vaping, I believe even outside. And given the chance to throw huge taxes on ICE vehicles when only prestige classic cars are left and the 'masses' are all driving electric and again I can see a government being pressured into doing it.

So no, I'm not a fan, but I can see all of the above happening. And if the choice of owning a Ferrari becomes a 20k electric conversion (which is what they think they'll get it down to) or a 200k new electric Ferrari then it might just be the way to go.

Only plus side is a 348 would have to be one of the easiest cars to convert - almost all of what you need to change comes out anyway:

Name:  z1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  z3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  68.9 KB
    Last edited by Nosevi; 09-08-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Yep, I've seen that as well; an electric charge point running on a diesel generator - the world has indeed gone mad.

But I can see a time when converting to electric or literally throwing your car away is the choice. Perhaps I'm being a pessimist but I can see it happening. Tell people in the 70s or 80s that smoking would become socially unacceptable to the extent that it would be banned in all public indoor places and they'd have laughed. Some cities in the US are now banning vaping, I believe even outside. And given the chance to throw huge taxes on ICE vehicles when only prestige classic cars are left and the 'masses' are all driving electric and again I can see a government being pressured into doing it.

So no, I'm not a fan, but I can see all of the above happening. And if the choice of owning a Ferrari becomes a 20k electric conversion (which is what they think they'll get it down to) or a 200k new electric Ferrari then it might just be the way to go.

Only plus side is a 348 would have to be one of the easiest cars to convert - almost all of what you need to change comes out anyway:

Name:  z1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  z3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  68.9 KB
    Im an engineer so me, my company and many like us will be the only ones that actually fix the problem anyway. Things like changing from plastic to paper straws wont make a flying fig of difference to anything.

To achieve a worthwhile sense of proportion 99% of the worlds oceanic pollution comes from ten rivers - none of which are in Europe. Two are in India the rest are in China. Likewise 90% of ozone depleting emissions come from China, Russia, and the USA.

We are doing electric vehicles right now which are for the virtue signalling middle & upper class. No one driving a five year old Ford Fiesta diesel is seeking to change for a while. Graphene batteries hold a lot of promise so will likely be the answer long term.

Meanwhile reject the idiotic tokenism and use any influence you have to ensure politicians direct resources to the real root causes and in proportion - poluter pays.

Tackleberry is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Anthony Gnapp

Just going to leave this here.......

Name:  51785910_2038628122899764_399685078130622464_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  45.3 KB

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Im an engineer so me, my company and many like us will be the only ones that actually fix the problem anyway. Things like changing from plastic to paper straws wont make a flying fig of difference to anything.

To achieve a worthwhile sense of proportion 99% of the worlds oceanic pollution comes from ten rivers - none of which are in Europe. Two are in India the rest are in China. Likewise 90% of ozone depleting emissions come from China, Russia, and the USA.

We are doing electric vehicles right now which are for the virtue signalling middle & upper class. No one driving a five year old Ford Fiesta diesel is seeking to change for a while. Graphene batteries hold a lot of promise so will likely be the answer long term.

Meanwhile reject the idiotic tokenism and use any influence you have to ensure politicians direct resources to the real root causes and in proportion - poluter pays.
    Agreed 100%, but... We'll have it forced upon us anyway.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Oh, and nice original post. I'd much rather see quality conversions like this than cars resigned to museums or the scrap heap. We have a few years yet but it's coming. The only problem I see is by heading down the conversion route rather than buying new, we'll still have to be trusted to drive ourselves and the car wont send its owners movement data to 'the man'. We'll still have a high degree of control and that's exactly what we're gradually being stripped of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast