Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 test pipes too short?

Name
    Simon

Default 355 test pipes too short?

I have acquired a set of tubi test pipes. I currently have a tubi exhaust.

So I thought it would be a fun way to spend Sunday rolling around on the floor under my 355.

I have removed the CATs and when offering up the test pipes it seems they are about 20mm too short?

I can just about get the rear flange to mate up but the pinch slits in the side are open i.e exhaust will escape.

Am I missing a trick here or are they really too short?

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Thatís an ďinterestingĒ idea of fun!

Have you compared the test pipe side by side with the cat you took off?

Not sure how the exhaust mounts work on the 355, but do the exhaust brackets have adjustment forward and backwards? Could they be all the way back?

Name
    Simon

Yeah....

I did a lot of reading up before attempting it... "easy" "done in a couple of hours" "swap in an afternoon"

LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!

Anyway, I looked at the flange on one of the cats (not removed it at that point) and there was a small gap in the v on the pinch so I recreated that and they fitted up but I still don't think its the best. Anyone know if the HE flange is different ?

I would shift the exhaust box but its already quite close to the clutch housing. 4-5mm.

Also I bought a set of gaskets (22 on the diagram) and they are made of steel wool not solid metal. Is that right? I put the old solid ones back in.

Anyway, it all needs to come off again.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I put high flow cats on my 348 replacing test pipes. Don't fancy doing that again either!

I don't have any knowledge of the 355 exhaust system. Form what you say you have obviously scoured Fchat threads....hopefully somebody will be along who has done it!!!

Good luck.

Name
    Simon

So having looked at it again tonight I need to find out the following....

Should I replace the solid exhaust gaskets with the steel wool type ones which I have supplied new by ES. If not is there any compression in the solid ones, i.e do I need to get a set of those?

Secondly, and I will post a photo shortly, whats the best way to eliminate the gap in the clamp between the back box and the end of the cat bypass pipe?

Its a tiny gap but the only way I can see to get rid of it is to move the back box towards the engine by 3mm. It will then be really close to the clutch housing.

I want to avoid taking the bumper off if possible!

Lastly, how tight do you go on the spring loaded clamps? I don't want to put too much stress on the whole system.

Name
    Simon

Name:  20190722.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  64.9 KB

Name
    Simon

So if you look between the space where the pinch bolt goes you can see the gap.

Then to the left of that on the pipe itself is a faint black line, that's where the previous flange was bolted up too I guess? So you can see the space I need to make up.

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default Exhaust

I see the gap you mean. If you fit new rings in the flanges, at each end, will they not be slightly less compressed and possibly make up the difference. I thought they were made to flex slightly hence the springs behind the flange bolts, (assuming the 355 is similar to the 348.) When I did mine I loosened everything and worked backwards from the manifolds, then jacked the exhaust up to where I wanted it then re tightened all flanges and exhaust mounts.

Name
    Ian

My exhaust has 355 cut out of the mounting arms and I believe that signifies itís a tubi, please correct me if Iím wrong.
    Anyway I just had a look and my joint shown in your picture is fully home and the silencer body is about 15 mm from the clutch housing. It does look like your pipes are about 18 mm shorter than my cat.
    Those joints pictured have caused me grief at mot time as they sometimes leak and the lamda fails.
    Always sealed with a bit of exhaust paste but it looks like yours are probably beyond that. Perhaps you need a piece welded in somewhere to make up the gap.
    Out of interest what happens at mot time, surely it will be a fail with no cats.

Name
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Allandwf View Post
    I see the gap you mean. If you fit new rings in the flanges, at each end, will they not be slightly less compressed and possibly make up the difference. I thought they were made to flex slightly hence the springs behind the flange bolts, (assuming the 355 is similar to the 348.) When I did mine I loosened everything and worked backwards from the manifolds, then jacked the exhaust up to where I wanted it then re tightened all flanges and exhaust mounts.
    When you say rings at each end what do you mean?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast