Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to go for a weekend away

Name
    birdseye

Default where to go for a weekend away

A small group of us ( maybe 4 or 5 cars ) usually have a three day weekend away every year, and we are looking for suggestions for a suitable pub / hotel this year. The format is to book accommodation at the same place for the three nights and then to have days out on decent driving roads and with visits to places of interest.

Anywhere in the UK but Wales, the south west, south east, maybe yorkshire preferred. Decent safe off street carparking is vital. Half decent food would be a good idea. And all at the low price end of the spectrum.

Suggestions?

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

A group of us stayed here ahead of the Wales Weekend last year...Ö

http://blackmountainlodge.co.uk/

It was quite reasonable cost wise and the food in the restaurant was surprisingly good.....There's a bar to sit in also and the rooms are clean and comfortable.
    It's close to the Brecons so gives you a good base for a few drive outs.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Anywhere in the UK but ... south east ... preferred. Decent safe off street carparking is vital. Half decent food would be a good idea. And all at the low price end of the spectrum.
    You could stay at the Heathrow Travelodge which is only a few miles from me and the pub in our village does excellent food. Each day you could do a lap of the M25 as to experience life in the sunny south east

Name
    jonnyjonkers

The Bildeston Crown in Suffolk is nice - https://thebildestoncrown.com/ - but might not suit your budget.

It's a good base for a 'Lovejoy' weekend as you can head out to Long Melford, Dedham, Lavenham, Needham Market, Bury St Edmunds & Sudbury. Hey, I might even go there myself!

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    You could stay at the Heathrow Travelodge which is only a few miles from me and the pub in our village does excellent food. Each day you could do a lap of the M25 as to experience life in the sunny south east
    Sadist!. My daughter and family live in Surrey so I am only too familiar with the human ant heap that is the south east. Mind you I never seem to get delayed on the M25 so I dont know what you lot moan about.

A348W is online now I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Try Shaftesbury way. Some good roads and close to lots of things to do. Canít help with hotels in that price bracket...missus and daughter wonít go unless there are 4 stars

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    A group of us stayed here ahead of the Wales Weekend last year...Ö

http://blackmountainlodge.co.uk/

It was quite reasonable cost wise and the food in the restaurant was surprisingly good.....There's a bar to sit in also and the rooms are clean and comfortable.
    It's close to the Brecons so gives you a good base for a few drive outs.
    Good shout Mike it was very nice

Name
    jos

isle of Man supposed ot have good roads & cheap accommodation - car security is enhanced by it being an island

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    A small group of us ( maybe 4 or 5 cars ) usually have a three day weekend away every year, and we are looking for suggestions for a suitable pub / hotel this year. The format is to book accommodation at the same place for the three nights and then to have days out on decent driving roads and with visits to places of interest.

Anywhere in the UK but Wales, the south west, south east, maybe yorkshire preferred. Decent safe off street carparking is vital. Half decent food would be a good idea. And all at the low price end of the spectrum.

Suggestions?
    Okay donít normally do this kind of thing but you asked nicely - this hotel is a hidden gem and the food is amazing for the price. https://www.oxpasturehallhotel.com/
    Use the Ox as your base for trips to - Oliverís mount - road racing circuit open to public vehicles throughout the year and great photo shoot at start / finish line. Then you have the Yorkshire moors to play on and the seaside towns of Scarborough and Whitby for some Kiss-me-quick hat and bingo action. Best of all worlds. Heading up there myself this weekend.

Name
    birdseye

Thanks Modificato. Scarborough ( and Brid and Filey) are where I spent my childhood / youth. I could even visit Ilkey Moor where I lost both my virginity and my cigarette lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast