Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone's 360 live outside year round?

Name
    Ross

Default Anyone's 360 live outside year round?

Hi All

I'm considering buying a 360 and my biggest consideration is whether the 360 can live outside year round, sun, snow, rain or shine. My Maserati lived like this and my Aston does as well.

Anyone have experience of this?

Of course I realise that a garage would be better but it's not an option.

I live in London so it will be parked on the road. No cartoon, or similar is possible.
    I also think that car covers attract attention and also damage paint.

Thanks
    R

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Can a 360 live outside year round? I’d have to say yes, I’m sure it can. Is it advisable? I’d have to say no, probably not. Ferraris are notorious for electrical glitches and the best way to promote these is to leave the car in a damp atmosphere. Also, I’d expect the car to suffer corrosion on certain parts more than say a German Eurobox.

It’s not that they’re poorly made but at the end of the day the assumption is they’re not going to live outside 365 days a year and they are built accordingly. Sorry if that’s not what you’d like to hear.

Name
    Andy

Also, unless you're driving it daily its advisable to keep them on a battery tender, the electrics can be sensitive to voltage drop, it doesn't sound like that's feasible in your situation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Mine doesn't live outside, but my garage is not exactly air tight (corrugated roof sitting directly on the garage walls, so plenty of gaps). I've not noticed any electrical issues in 5+ years, although I'm sure it gets damp in there. Not quite the same as sitting in the rain I guess.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Could it live outside year-round, probably. Would I want a Ferrari 360 sat on the road to drive around London, probably not.

It'd seem like a bit of a waste and to be brutally honest, as much as I like Maserati's and Aston Martin's, a 360 isn't in the same league with respect to presence, normality and perceived value.

I'm perfectly happy leaving our car outside when travelling but I wouldn't want to do it full-time.

Name
    Ross

I do realise it's not ideal, but I liked the message in this thread: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...t=1064502&i=20

I would be forgoing owning a Ferrari because I don't want to move out off London to the suburbs.

Name
    Jeff

I'd also check with your insurance - it's actually a requirement of mine for it to be garaged overnight if within a 1/4 mile of my home.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rossyl View Post
    I do realise it's not ideal, but I liked the message in this thread...
    I do get your position. Do consider though, that thread is close to a decade old now and those cars living outside were a lot newer back then. The 360 is pretty robust and the outdoors wont melt it but as cars age (all of them, no exceptions) they take a bit more care to keep them looking great.

In your position I'd perhaps investigate the possibility of a California as it's a newer model and will blend into the street scene a little more discreetly

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I agree with 90% of what has been said. Personally I would not store one outside but then that's my personal opinion. I hate keeping my £2.50 Z3 outside but figure at £2.50 I can cope.

Not scientific but I notice less problems since my car has been stored in a dehumidified and/or Carcoon garage than just a regular garage. That said different cars so who knows?

In fact when I'm using that Z3 instead of my regular daily I clean that daily and cover it. UV and bird**** alone do enough damage to paintwork ignoring humidity which in the UK is quite high.

Last but not least 3 Ferraris and 3 Alfa Romeos models from 1983 - 2006 have taught me Italians leak electric and don't work after a few weeks (at the most) of none use none battery conditioner

I didn't use the Z3 over winter but out of habit use a battery conditioner. I realised I had not switched it on for a couple of months by mistake and the battery did not complain one iota. I would most likely have had to replace it in an Italian.

All that said life is short and you do what you should
    Last edited by MalcH; 11-06-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Name
    Ross

Not the answers I was after clearly. Oh well.

Where are the people using their 360 as a daily driver? I thought there were a few.

In that Pistonheads thread there was someone with a Testerossa parked outside. Clearly older and less well built than a 360.

I appreciate it isn't ideal, but what I'm after on this thread is more so actual experience rather than speculation that it will break if parked outside.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast