Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: I think I have a very expensive engine issue with my 360. Any ideas?

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I suspect the biggest impact on the value is talking about it on a public forum! Perhaps move this thread to the club lounge

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    I have wondered that - but maybe I could go halfway-house. Keep it taxed for a few months in the summer, do a few hundred miles a year just to keep things ticking over / stop seals drying out.
    It would be low enough mileage that you wouldn't have to worry about big service items like tyres / brakes for a while. Road tax would be cut due to SORN (not that it's too high for the 360 anyway). Minor services tend to be a tad expensive on the Ferrari, but if I was doing just a few hundred miles a year I'd be tempted to just get an oil change at the local garage or do it myself.

I am seriously considering what to do about my cars - I am tempted to make a fairly significant change and just be "sensible" for a while. With that in mind, I posted a thread on PH Car Buying today, described my current situation - including what's happened to the Ferrari - and the options I was considering.
    Had a few responses, and was a bit surprised by them. Despite the fact that my conscious brain thinking that the 360 is currently a poorly engineered pile of Italian garbage which I'd be well shot of - virtually every response to my post is "it's clear you love the Ferrari, you'd regret selling it and should keep it. Sell the Aston / Alfa instead". So I guess my subconscious has written the thread in such a way that it's clear how much I do really like the 360.

I would quite like my car ownership to just be "it works" for a while. Having 4 cars is nice, but having 4 old cars means that there is always something wrong with at least one of them!
    I ended up selling all my performance cars once due to getting done for speeding - in the middle of nowhere Scotland - and just feeling like high speed road enjoyment was over. I moved to the city and went car-free. I sold the F430 to a dealership and subsequently bought it back again when I missed it like crazy. I know all the shortcomings of the brand and they drove me crazy at times but of my current collection the Ferrari’s would absolutely be the last things I would sell.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

My view might change when I get the bill, but at the moment I'm definitely thinking the Ferrari will stay. It's been an expensive problem but at least the exhaust won't be blowing dust everywhere now!

Still need to decide whether to change the other cars, and I should - I'm spending too much on them. But I think I've concluded that I don't want to sell any of them - so I may simply have to live with it. The one compromise I think I could make is to ditch the Aston and the Alfa and buy a convertible Vantage. But I like the one I've got, so don't think that's going to happen in the near future!
    Last edited by dave964; 18-05-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Name
    Dave

So, looks like I won't get the car back this week after all.

QV's "head tool" has snapped, so they will get a new one today which has delayed things slightly - car will therefore not be ready tomorrow. My g/f has also decided that we should have a romantic night away on my birthday (Thursday night) - which is lovely, but means I can't collect the car Thursday or Friday either. I did suggest that we could get back in time for me to collect it Friday afternoon, but...... it seems I was wrong about that.

And since it's a BH weekend, QV won't be open Sat morning - apparently Mick is doing a hill climb event. He did say he wants to put quite a few miles on my car to test it before giving it back (which is one of the reasons it can't be ready tomorrow) - I'm rather hoping the two things are not connected!

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I have wondered that - but maybe I could go halfway-house. Keep it taxed for a few months in the summer, do a few hundred miles a year just to keep things ticking over / stop seals drying out.
    It would be low enough mileage that you wouldn't have to worry about big service items like tyres / brakes for a while. Road tax would be cut due to SORN (not that it's too high for the 360 anyway). Minor services tend to be a tad expensive on the Ferrari, but if I was doing just a few hundred miles a year I'd be tempted to just get an oil change at the local garage or do it myself.

I am seriously considering what to do about my cars - I am tempted to make a fairly significant change and just be "sensible" for a while. With that in mind, I posted a thread on PH Car Buying today, described my current situation - including what's happened to the Ferrari - and the options I was considering.
    Had a few responses, and was a bit surprised by them. Despite the fact that my conscious brain thinking that the 360 is currently a poorly engineered pile of Italian garbage which I'd be well shot of - virtually every response to my post is "it's clear you love the Ferrari, you'd regret selling it and should keep it. Sell the Aston / Alfa instead". So I guess my subconscious has written the thread in such a way that it's clear how much I do really like the 360.

I would quite like my car ownership to just be "it works" for a while. Having 4 cars is nice, but having 4 old cars means that there is always something wrong with at least one of them!
    I think you want to keep the 360. I'm sure just selling those you mention would easily cover the bill and with lots of change.
    That said I understand how it might be a dilemma letting those cars go. I'm not going to compare an old Alfa to your AM and Brera Spider but I hated moving it on. It's why I ended up with this Z3 which like the Alfa was cheap to buy (no comparison to you) and run. I've bought new tyres and an exhaust (latter needs fitting) and it was all less than £400 but I have been using it for work for the last few weeks and covered over 1000 miles. Joanne does not like it and thinks I should sell it but I am not letting it go yet. Great fun. My brand new Merc has sat virtually unmoved on the drive for that time.
    So I can only imagine what losing out on the Spider and Aston would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Do you mean in terms of protecting ‘value’ (ie resale) or in terms of what’s best for the car, Malc?

Non of the cars I saw on the Walkersport site had been officially serviced during their 3 to 5 years of storage, all sold so it didn’t bother at least one buyer in each case. I think an oil change at some point may be a good idea but are you really going to change the spark plugs every year just for the hell of it? I think if you do it right storing a car isn’t going to do it that much harm. Hundreds if not thousands of classic cars are in storage in posh facilities around the country all the time. I doubt storing a 348 will hurt it any more than storing a 288 GTO and I’ll bet a fair few of them have been laid up for more than 3 years.
    I'm not sure Pete. I wondered whether it might put potential buyers off if the car has stood and not been serviced. However my Mondial was bought by a 'collector' or investor in 2010 and it seems put in a garage and left for five years. Sold it for 2½ times what I sold it for. It did not turn a wheel but I can't say if it was serviced or not. I think not.

QV's "head tool" has snapped, so they will get a new one today which has delayed things slightly - car will therefore not be ready tomorrow. My g/f has also decided that we should have a romantic night away on my birthday (Thursday night) - which is lovely, but means I can't collect the car Thursday or Friday either. I did suggest that we could get back in time for me to collect it Friday afternoon, but...... it seems I was wrong about that.

And since it's a BH weekend, QV won't be open Sat morning - apparently Mick is doing a hill climb event. He did say he wants to put quite a few miles on my car to test it before giving it back (which is one of the reasons it can't be ready tomorrow) - I'm rather hoping the two things are not connected!

You'll just look forward to it all the more (or not)

Name
    Dave

I think I've decided that for now, the most likely change is that I will sell the Alfa. Unless I'm very disappointed when I get it back, the 360 stays. I like having a nice semi-daily car, so the Aston stays. Porsche is an excellent winter car, so stays.

My sensible head says : Alfa was an impulse buy, and keeping it when it would pay for the Ferrari repair is frivolous. I should sell it
    My heart says : Until the Ferrari blew up, I was thinking of buying a Fireblade. If I sold the Alfa, I could buy a Fireblade

I'm really not very good at being sensible. (But I will wait until I get the 360 back before deciding whether to advertise the Alfa).

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I think I've decided that for now, the most likely change is that I will sell the Alfa. Unless I'm very disappointed when I get it back, the 360 stays. I like having a nice semi-daily car, so the Aston stays. Porsche is an excellent winter car, so stays.

My sensible head says : Alfa was an impulse buy, and keeping it when it would pay for the Ferrari repair is frivolous. I should sell it
    My heart says : Until the Ferrari blew up, I was thinking of buying a Fireblade. If I sold the Alfa, I could buy a Fireblade

I'm really not very good at being sensible. (But I will wait until I get the 360 back before deciding whether to advertise the Alfa).
    Sounds like a plan.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

I think he's going to be at Prescott in his yellow 308. I will be there too.

Name
    Dave

So, collected the car after work today.

It wasn't ready last week after all - one of the "end cover" gaskets got broken, so a new one had to be fetched from Maranello on Friday afternoon, but I was told that it had been run up to temperature while standing and seemed good. A short road test was planned for Friday, and a longer one was planned for today.
    I was called at 9:15 this morning and told it was ready for collection - passed the road test with flying colours.

Collected after work - was really looking forward to it, but first impressions were actually a bit underwhelming........ For one thing, it seemed a little quiet, definitely quieter than I remembered. It occurred to me on the way home that they'd probably reconnected the exhaust valves so I stopped to check that. Strangely, I was half right - the electrical connector on the LHS was connected, the one on the right wasn't. I disconnected the one on the left - as I did so, the cheap reading glasses I use fell off and when behind the exhaust (below the gap between the silencer and the coolant expansion tank). This is a problem when you're parked at the side of the road with a very hot exhaust.
    Ferrari screwdriver, pliers, a few cloths and 20 minutes meant that I got them out - and only burned my hands about 3 times. As an aside, it seems that even when it looks like you've broken down at the side of the road, pretty blonde ladies stop to chat to you about your car.

Although it was better, it still sounds quiet to me - I wonder if enough of the packing had disintegrated that it was noisier than it should have been? I also think the oil temp was a bit lower than I'd expect on a warm day (although obviously I took it pretty easy) - I suspect the exhaust is chucking out less heat now.

Other than that, everything seemed to work normally. Even so - it still felt less special than I expected, but perhaps that was due to driving it reasonably sedately. I intend to use it for work this week, to make sure there are no surprises - and it's supposed to be a reasonable weekend I think so will use it for that too. Technically, I could make it to the supercar weekend - but perhaps it needs a bit more of a road test first!

Total cost was....... £6,488.56. This included £456.60 for the head work - including getting the snapped shaft of the variator out of the end of the cam, but that was a mere £30 so seemed like a bargain.

Overall, the bill was a lot less than I initially expected - which is definitely thanks to the help / advice that Voicey provided. I'm glad to have it back - but not yet as glad as I expected to be. Hopefully, that will change soon.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default I think I have a very expensive engine issue with my 360. Any ideas?

Great it’s sorted Dave

My car was much quieter after the exhaust refurb so I wouldn’t be surprised there.

I suspect you need to bond with it again. I guess you’ll know soon enough.
    Whilst the bill will be painful as you say it’s not as bad as you or any of us initially expected.

M

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast