Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I have a very expensive engine issue with my 360. Any ideas?

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Hmm, now storage is an interesting option.... Cut the running costs for a year or two but when you fancy having a Ferrari again, service and MOT.
    That's actually something I'll consider!

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Hmm, now storage is an interesting option.... Cut the running costs for a year or two but when you fancy having a Ferrari again, service and MOT.
    That's actually something I'll consider!
    Iím certainly considering it. Thing is, for me, I think when Iím out, Iím out - I may be wrong but I doubt Iíd buy back in. My mate who stored his said getting it back out of storage was like buying his first Ferrari all over again, essentially he fell in love with it again and appreciated it more having lived without it for a few years. For me in my situation it does sort of make sense.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

This thread has been quite enlightening and ideas put forward.
    As such I now think the 360 is definitely my last Ferrari. I've decided to keep it at least until I plan to retire which realistically for me is at the very least 10 years. Who knows what will be around then. I do suspect at some point (and in my lifetime I kind of hope) we will see a big shift from ICE to electric.
    I'm 100% sure that ICE classic (older) cars will be no more banned for road use than a horse but it may be more difficult to get fuel.

There's always the option to store it I suppose but is it OK to not have it serviced in that time anyway?
    Hoping for news about yours Dave.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    There's always the option to store it I suppose but is it OK to not have it serviced in that time anyway?
    I have wondered that - but maybe I could go halfway-house. Keep it taxed for a few months in the summer, do a few hundred miles a year just to keep things ticking over / stop seals drying out.
    It would be low enough mileage that you wouldn't have to worry about big service items like tyres / brakes for a while. Road tax would be cut due to SORN (not that it's too high for the 360 anyway). Minor services tend to be a tad expensive on the Ferrari, but if I was doing just a few hundred miles a year I'd be tempted to just get an oil change at the local garage or do it myself.

I am seriously considering what to do about my cars - I am tempted to make a fairly significant change and just be "sensible" for a while. With that in mind, I posted a thread on PH Car Buying today, described my current situation - including what's happened to the Ferrari - and the options I was considering.
    Had a few responses, and was a bit surprised by them. Despite the fact that my conscious brain thinking that the 360 is currently a poorly engineered pile of Italian garbage which I'd be well shot of - virtually every response to my post is "it's clear you love the Ferrari, you'd regret selling it and should keep it. Sell the Aston / Alfa instead". So I guess my subconscious has written the thread in such a way that it's clear how much I do really like the 360.

I would quite like my car ownership to just be "it works" for a while. Having 4 cars is nice, but having 4 old cars means that there is always something wrong with at least one of them!

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    Do you mean in terms of protecting Ďvalueí (ie resale) or in terms of whatís best for the car, Malc?

Non of the cars I saw on the Walkersport site had been officially serviced during their 3 to 5 years of storage, all sold so it didnít bother at least one buyer in each case. I think an oil change at some point may be a good idea but are you really going to change the spark plugs every year just for the hell of it? I think if you do it right storing a car isnít going to do it that much harm. Hundreds if not thousands of classic cars are in storage in posh facilities around the country all the time. I doubt storing a 348 will hurt it any more than storing a 288 GTO and Iíll bet a fair few of them have been laid up for more than 3 years.

Name
    Dave

Head and silencer are back, top end is being reassembled. They want to do a decent road test on it - expected I'll get it back the middle of next week. At which point, I guess I'll also find out the cost.

By coincidence, I have Weds-Fri off next week, so that fits into my plans well. It's actually my birthday next week - whether it's a good thing to get the Ferrari back for my birthday, or a bad thing to get a massive bill for my birthday, I'm not sure.

Having said that, I am looking forward to getting it back and my feeling seems to be shifting from 'I'll probably get rid of it' to 'I'll probably keep it'. But that may change depending on the size of the bill - and it doesn't change the fact that something probably does need to go.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Good to hear its almost back!

Hopefully you will still be in love with it. (Go find a tunnel and pop it down a few gears..that should do the trick! )

Had a couple of substantial bills (£15-20k each) on the yacht, and whilst they are still an occasional sore point, I still love her! So I can sympathise somewhat.

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

In terms of selling it, from a buyer's perspective I'd be more concerned if you were selling it straight after an engine issue. There might be a consideration that you'd done the bare minimum just to get it running, and then bailed out.

If you sell it in a couple of years, say, then the engine issue isn't recent and therefore a lot less relevant.

All IMO - I appreciate that you aren't doing this on the cheap etc etc, just thinking about it from a buyer's perspective

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    In terms of selling it, from a buyer's perspective I'd be more concerned if you were selling it straight after an engine issue. There might be a consideration that you'd done the bare minimum just to get it running, and then bailed out.

If you sell it in a couple of years, say, then the engine issue isn't recent and therefore a lot less relevant.

All IMO - I appreciate that you aren't doing this on the cheap etc etc, just thinking about it from a buyer's perspective

Iíd agree with this..... not necessarily on the skimping as itís being done by someone whoíll want to maintain their reputation but Iíd want a few k on it since the work to make sure it was well tested/proven.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post

It's a fair point, and to be honest is something that had occurred to me. I think that if I do decide to sell quite quickly, it would affect the price whereas in a year or two it probably wouldn't.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast