Default Ferrari Market Q1 2019

Just posted a new article on the car market:

https://karenable.com/view-on-the-car-market-q1-2019/

Thoughts? Comments?

A348W is online now I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Again...thanks for posting up.

Some interesting observations, specifically the implication that the "normal" cars appear to go up in value as the age of potential owners who grew up with them ask kids/young people aligns to their ability to purchase and then down in value for the next generation. (Slime hope that one day I might step into a 512BBi!!)

Not sure about the US, but in the UK looking on various dealer websites over here I find it interesting that 458 spiders are at almost the same price point as 488 GTBs. Being new to the F world, is this what happens as new models start to wash through the system? Just curiosity.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Nice article. I think the market can be a fickle thing and it's tough to predict what will happen. I do see many of today's buyers of cars like Ferraris having different buying habits than perhaps the generation before, especially with the more modern tipos. It seems far more common these days to have a car like that for a year or two then move on, often to something newer or from a different manufacturer, rather than having the car they always wanted for 15-20 years. How this will impact the market as those now in their 20s move into their 30s and 40s I'm not sure but I feel it will have an effect.

Regarding the Spider of one model often comparing in price to the GTB of the model before, that often seems to be the case for a while after the new model comes out in GTB form, then the Spiders of the older model devalue a bit more as more of the newer model's Spiders come onto the market.

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Again...thanks for posting up.

Some interesting observations, specifically the implication that the "normal" cars appear to go up in value as the age of potential owners who grew up with them ask kids/young people aligns to their ability to purchase and then down in value for the next generation. (Slime hope that one day I might step into a 512BBi!!)

Not sure about the US, but in the UK looking on various dealer websites over here I find it interesting that 458 spiders are at almost the same price point as 488 GTBs. Being new to the F world, is this what happens as new models start to wash through the system? Just curiosity.
    From what I have seen over the years, values do tend to move as different generations come of age and buy the cars of their childhood dreams. On the 458 Spiders vs 488 coupes, this seems to be the trend with most of the V8 Ferraris.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    From what I have seen over the years, values do tend to move as different generations come of age and buy the cars of their childhood dreams. On the 458 Spiders vs 488 coupes, this seems to be the trend with most of the V8 Ferraris.
    Agree this is always present yet ignored by most market pundits. Itís almost impossible to be object about a market when you have your own preferences as an undercurrent.

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Agree this is always present yet ignored by most market pundits. Itís almost impossible to be object about a market when you have your own preferences as an undercurrent.
    I hate to imagine what will happen when the Millennials hit the classic market....

Arron is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    I hate to imagine what will happen when the Millennials hit the classic market....
    It's anyone's guess, but doubtless someone will be offended.....

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    It's anyone's guess, but doubtless someone will be offended.....
    I think it may well be those who own Classics.

I just can't see the 'youth of today' yearning after a bygone era or seeing old classic cars as moving works of art in the same way most of the older generation (of which I'm just about one) do. I can't see them wanting a Miura over an Aventador, or a 288 GTO over a 488 Pista. I think a newer is better approach will, over time, take hold and eventually the classic car market will be hugely effected by that.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

If the supercar weekend is any indication, the youth of today are not going to grow up dreaming of owning a 458 or 488 anyway. They will grow up dreaming of owning a McLaren - that seemed to be what all the kids wanted to go in at last year's event.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    If the supercar weekend is any indication, the youth of today are not going to grow up dreaming of owning a 458 or 488 anyway. They will grow up dreaming of owning a McLaren - that seemed to be what all the kids wanted to go in at last year's event.
    It's a door thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast