Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Still] California Dreaming

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Default [Still] California Dreaming

So we're now in to 2019 and I'm still dreaming of a California T.

It would make sense for me to sell one or both of my cars to buy one; it'd sort my storage problems out and free up some cash, but is selling an F430 Spyder and/or a 550 Maranello for a California T the right trade? I mean, selling static/appreciating assets to buy a depreciating one isn't generally a good idea. But if the California T is the car I want then why wait?

There are tougher decisions in life to make than this, granted, so why is this so difficult for me? I guess I'm just over-thinking it! Head rules heart an' all that...

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

All very different cars but if you need to sell either the 430 or 550 which would you part with?

Did you buy the cars as investments or to drive and enjoy? If the former then itís a bad call. If the latter then take each out and check if the bond is still there. If itís not then sell and get the Cali. If it is there then suck it up and forget the Cali. You canít always get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    jonnyjonkers

[QUOTE=thecook101;834156]Did you buy the cars as investments or to drive and enjoy? If the former then itís a bad call. If the latter then take each out and check if the bond is still there. If itís not then sell and get the Cali. If it is there then suck it up and forget the Cali. You canít always get what you want.

I bought them to drive & enjoy, it just turns out it's been a bull market and I've made money. I've certainly enjoyed the 550 by putting 12k miles on it in 5 years, driving the UK, France & Ireland. TBH, it feels like I've only just got the 430 (I've owned it 16 months) so I guess it would be a shame to part with it so soon.

You're quite right though; drive them both and if the bond is still there then 'hold'. If not, start afresh with a Cali T.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    All very different cars but if you need to sell either the 430 or 550 which would you part with?
    I'd say the 550, but that would leave me two, admittedly quite different, V8 convertibles.

If all goes well I'm hoping to test drive a California T soon. I'll be sure to drive the 430 there so I get a back-to-back comparison (and a trade-in price while I'm there :-) )

Name
    ian

Let the 430 go... that way you have one of the best GTs ever made plus a convertable...

Name
    Simon

I had a 430 Spider and changed it for a Cali (non-T)... Absolutely love the Cali... its not everyone's cup of tea - but I prefer it. Test drive and see....

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Echo the comments above... even as a biased 550 owner, try not to view anything you do for pleasure as an investment - if the cars go up in value, it's an unexpected surprise. Buy and drive what you want.

430 & 550 is a nice combination, each has different strengths. But you have 2 lots of Ferrari running costs - even putting the sensible financial head on, surely losing that would mitigate against the Cali depreciation?

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Echo the comments above... even as a biased 550 owner, try not to view anything you do for pleasure as an investment - if the cars go up in value, it's an unexpected surprise. Buy and drive what you want.

430 & 550 is a nice combination, each has different strengths. But you have 2 lots of Ferrari running costs - even putting the sensible financial head on, surely losing that would mitigate against the Cali depreciation?
    Good point. I'll need to ask how much of the Service plan remains on any California T I look at too, as that could save me circa £3k pa. (if I lose both the 430 & 550)

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post
    Good point. I'll need to ask how much of the Service plan remains on any California T I look at too, as that could save me circa £3k pa. (if I lose both the 430 & 550)
    even if the service pack is running out the annual servicing on a California is only around £600-£700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast