Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the price of a 328

Name
    birdseye

Default the price of a 328

Whats the real selling price of a decent not too leggy rosso 328 these days. I cant bring myself to believe that people are paying the 90 to 100k of the adverts on Autotrader. A pal has tried and failed to sell his nice example for 80k and seems to think the real market is nearer 60

Anybody recently sold one and willing to reveal all?

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

The one at auction a month ago http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1...-328-gts-12895 failed to sell close to eighty and this similar car is still there https://www.slades-garage.co.uk/vehi...8-a91f00e37307

Name
    P J

IMO - every Ferrari is an individual case. If it hasn't sold, its over-priced in the current market. End of story.

If potential buyers are phoning, viewing and making offers based on their perception of its condition and history, that tells you the car is priced about right and you have options to accept an offer.

If no-one is showing any interest, and not even bothering to phone and view its over-priced.

Name
    birdseye

I was looking at it from another angle as a possible buyer. It seemed to me that the market for the older models had got into the same sort of situation as the house market where prices are drifitng down but the few on the market are overpriced and not moving. When you can be offered a 60k mile 360 at 40 odd, how is it that a similar mileage 328 is above 80? Neither are true classics in the same sense as a 330. They are just old cars.

Bear in mind that 328s have been down at 25k in a previous weak market.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I was looking at it from another angle as a possible buyer. It seemed to me that the market for the older models had got into the same sort of situation as the house market where prices are drifitng down but the few on the market are overpriced and not moving. When you can be offered a 60k mile 360 at 40 odd, how is it that a similar mileage 328 is above 80? Neither are true classics in the same sense as a 330. They are just old cars.

Bear in mind that 328s have been down at 25k in a previous weak market.
    I think many of the older cars are 'correcting' in terms of prices at the moment. There's a lot of fishing going on right now though - I'd say a lot of cars on the market are there in case the current owner can shift it at that price, not because they have to.

I disagree with the link you've made between a 328 and 360 though. A 360 is a modern car, a 328 isn't and doesn't feel like one to drive. There was a 'step change' from 348 to 355 and those before that point feel very different and mechanical to drive, those afterwards feel civilised by comparison, a very different experience. I'd look at a 308, 328 or 348 if you want a classic feeling experience, a 355, 360 or 430 if you want a modern feeling experience. All great cars, take your pick

p.s. Have deleted the duplicate thread

Name
    Allan Fisher

Default Prices

I agree with what has been said above. There is a perceived value for each model, usually on the higher side. If someone just wants a particular model of Ferrari then this will be the rough, albeit, normally high price bracket. At this time, winter, Brexit etc. make an offer of what you think it's worth, after all it will only be worth what someone is willing to pay, you may be surprised. I knew what I wanted, a black RHD 348, requiring work. I wanted the old school drive, and something to tinker with, so paid what I felt it was worth to me.

Name
    P J

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I think many of the older cars are 'correcting' in terms of prices at the moment. There's a lot of fishing going on right now though - I'd say a lot of cars on the market are there in case the current owner can shift it at that price, not because they have to.

I disagree with the link you've made between a 328 and 360 though. A 360 is a modern car, a 328 isn't and doesn't feel like one to drive. There was a 'step change' from 348 to 355 and those before that point feel very different and mechanical to drive, those afterwards feel civilised by comparison, a very different experience. I'd look at a 308, 328 or 348 if you want a classic feeling experience, a 355, 360 or 430 if you want a modern feeling experience. All great cars, take your pick

p.s. Have deleted the duplicate thread
    Hmm agree in general but would definitely put the 355 in the classic drive category.....! I dont think anyone can call it a modern feeling experience! The 360 is a huge step forwards in terms of modernity from the 355.

The 348 grabs a bit more 'old school' kudos due to its lack of power steering (fantastic!) and eye popping handling imo!

Name
    birdseye

I cant see that there is a huge difference between versions of V8 cars. None of them are rare in the sense that the 12 cylinder cars of the 60s are, nor as iconic. So I dont know where classic starts and modern ends.

Seems to me that there are fashions involved. 328s are higher priced than 308 or 348. 355 is higher priced than 348 or 360. No rationale to it, just fashion. Bit like the manual gearbox premium.

But what I was trying to get a handle on was what was the price at which 328s were actually selling as opposed to the high prices put on sale or return cars by unrealistic owners. Or is there rapid turnover at 80 to 100k and I've got it all wrong?

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    But what I was trying to get a handle on was what was the price at which 328s were actually selling
    Take a look at the PH listings for example - Forza288 & KHPC show four red sold with 58-73 asking at around 50000 miles

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by JayKayEll View Post
    Hmm agree in general but would definitely put the 355 in the classic drive category.....! I dont think anyone can call it a modern feeling experience! The 360 is a huge step forwards in terms of modernity from the 355.

The 348 grabs a bit more 'old school' kudos due to its lack of power steering (fantastic!) and eye popping handling imo!
    I guess you could argue there was a step from 348 to 355 and a step from 355 to 360. Regardless of exactly where you draw the line though, a 348 feels pretty 'old fashioned', a 360 feels modern, so comparing a 328 to a 360 in terms of value doesn't really make sense imo. You're not paying for rarity, as the OP says 328s really aren't that rare, I guess you're paying for the old-school driving feel and looks - personally I think the 328 looks stunning. You may even be paying for the fact a 328 is extremely simple to work on compared to a much newer model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast