Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 348 running issue

Name
    William

Iím going to have to recheck my crank sensors as Iím not overly confident about this gap, not that it would explain the compression results, however the oringinal ecu code test this was the only code I couldnít explain as I hadnít touched them.

the fellow who suggested them Iím assuming hasnít had any issues with them so donít see why I would on mine, If Iíve messed up the gap could this be causing my issue, Iím just wondering if this whole problem was the MAF and ive fixed that but gave myself a new problem Iíll fitting the crank, as I did this before the MAF

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Will348 View Post
    Forgot to mention

At start up, again there were no CELís, during the ecu relearn around 15 minutes in the isles noticeably drops in revs and this is when the CEL comes back on
    This sounds horribly familiar.

Name
    William

Oh?

Should I take a seat?

Name
    Nick

The fault on my car was very similar and seemed to triggered by the cooling fans cutting in. Have a read of post 682 in my thread if you haven't already. I describe it there. Sort of ok running from cold up to the point of the fans cutting in. Then the CEL comes on. Maybe you can relate something. Fault code reading is invaluable as you have the facility now. That can help with any crank sensor fault too.

Name
    Nick

Have you tried swapping the ECUs over? Takes a couple of mins. What happens to the CEL? Does it change sides? Worth doing just to discount if nothing else. This is how I found my problem.

Name
    William

I will add that to my to my ďto try listĒ thankyou

One key difference I see is the fact yours ran ďokĒ from cold whereas mines the same be it hot or cold. It makes sense in the case of my ecu relearning but whoís to say that my current issue is even linked to what the CEL is coming on for?

I seriously hope so as thatís what Iím chasing at the present time

Name
    Nick

So just to clarify, you said in an earlier post that three mechanics had told you the engine was running on eight cyls. Is that still the case at idle and then breaks down under load or is it only running on four all the time?

sssdu01 is online now No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I have tested piston ring seal with a little engine oil injected into the cylinder (VERY LITTLE OIL !!) The oil can partly seal up a ring gap problem and give a higher reading if you have a blow by problem. Unfortunately I dont think this will wont work on a V8 as the piston isnt flat so you cant get a pool of oil around the edge of the piston. I would try a leakdown test next, as it will rule out a whole host of potential issues, but your one low reading is odd.

Name
    Silver360 owner

When were the belts last done and by whom ?
    Have you ruled out a jumped tooth ?

Try a stethoscope on the valve covers while itís running ,moving it over each approx valve position and listen for a different noise - thinking fractured valve(s) spring(s) .Rev it up and listen to them at different rpm,s .Interesting to see if no 7 sounds like rest .

Plugs - how do you know they are not $hit ? .They are not t expensive .

All above assumes the ď three ď mechanics have checked through the fuel lines , pressures and sparks to the plug as well as the dreaded ECU ,s .

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Silver360 View Post
    When were the belts last done and by whom ?
    Have you ruled out a jumped tooth ?

Try a stethoscope on the valve covers while itís running ,moving it over each approx valve position and listen for a different noise - thinking fractured valve(s) spring(s) .Rev it up and listen to them at different rpm,s .Interesting to see if no 7 sounds like rest .

Plugs - how do you know they are not $hit ? .They are not t expensive .

All above assumes the ď three ď mechanics have checked through the fuel lines , pressures and sparks to the plug as well as the dreaded ECU ,s .
    Some good points here Will. Belt especially... Also you have a CEL coming on but for what reason? I would have to know. These things are there to help.. A few basic items need confirming as I think we all presume the mechanics would have looked at these., As mentioned above. Spark ,fuel etc. Or were they just opinions without any work being done?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910