Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 348 running issue

Name
    William

With the engine running i disconnected one maf, the engine continued to run, once i disconnected the other side the engine cut out.

The engine restarted with bith mafs out but didnt notice any change

Pangea is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Will348 View Post
    With the engine running i disconnected one maf, the engine continued to run, once i disconnected the other side the engine cut out.

The engine restarted with bith mafs out but didnt notice any change
    I would wait and read your fault codes. Im sure something will reveal itself. The diagnostics are useful and Ive just found I have a bad lambda (code 1211) which I tested off the car this morning and sure enough its duff. Its possible you have MAF issue. Lets see. Remember now you have disconnected them with the engine running you may have stored codes. Probably 1111. Disconnecting the battery is supposed to clear the codes but mine appears to retain them even if I do that. A bit odd but I can clear them manually using the test buttons. Possibly an ECU variant.

Name
    William

I intend to do just that, i must say though its a farce the fact our cars do not come with the ecu testers already installed seen as the cars over the pond do!

Out of interest though, “should” the engine have cut out as soon as i unplugged the second MAF?

Name
    William

Another question is, are you supposed to perform an ecu reset each time you make a change i.e unplug a maf, or cat ecu etc, as ive read the engine has to be stone cold to do the reset which rather limits the amount of tests you can do if you have to wait for the engine to cool inbetween

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Another question is, are you supposed to perform an ecu reset each time you make a change i.e unplug a maf, or cat ecu etc, as ive read the engine has to be stone cold to do the reset which rather limits the amount of tests you can do if you have to wait for the engine to cool inbetween
    Ready to be corrected but think it's only if power is cut to one or other of the Motronics.

Name
    Nick

I must say though its a farce the fact our cars do not come with the ecu testers already installed seen as the cars over the pond do!

Its due to the CARB regs in the States (basically California) which we didn't have in Europe. It required the diagnostic system we are playing with. I agree with you though. The cost would have been minor to fit to all cars. Two switches, two bulbs and two very short looms. Then again that would make it easy for customers to diagnose faults rather than the dealers.

Out of interest though, “should” the engine have cut out as soon as i unplugged the second MAF?[/QUOTE]

Technically speaking no but this is a 348 . Read the note at the bottom of the page. 348 workshop manual. In theory this should allow some drivability..

Name:  maf.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  129.1 KB

Rather than write an essay have a read of this. https://www.quora.com/What-does-a-ma...un-without-one

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Ready to be corrected but think it's only if power is cut to one or other of the Motronics.
    I think this is right. I would reset if I fitted a NEW component though.

Name
    William

Thanks

So as i understand, with both mafs removed the car should just run rough, so with the engine cutting out when both mafs were removed what does that point to seen as techincally the engine can run without, the second maf?

Name
    Nick

Thanks

So as i understand, with both mafs removed the car should just run rough, so with the engine cutting out when both mafs were removed what does that point to seen as techincally the engine can run without, the second maf?
    Thats how it reads to me. My car is in bits at the moment otherwise I would go and start it and try disconnecting them. Im working through a similar issue to you at the moment. Had an ecu repaired but seems like something else is going on now as well as a knackered lambda (other Bank). Thats getting delivered Monday. I will read the codes again when up and running but I suspect the ecu is still causing a problem. Im getting a 1111 code for MAF hot wire with four other codes too but they may all be related to an ecu issue. Also need to do some wiring checks. Before I condemn anything. Im keeping an open mind. Its all time though.
    Due to the code reading at least I know what side is causing the real problems.

You could try cleaning the MAFs and connectors if you haven't already.

Name
    William

Yes i will give that a try.

I will disconnect them both tommorow, see which one causes the engine to cut out, and then swap them over and reconnect, then disconnect again, if the very same maf causes the engine to cut out then surely theres something sinister about it.

The bits to make the ECU harness arrive monday so hopefully have some codes, although i fear having discconected allsorts last couple of days it will be a mess of codes!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast