Thread: Classic tyres -which type nowadays?

Name
    Silver360 owner

Default Classic tyres -which type nowadays?

My Dino GT4 208 ( Italian spec car ) tyres I suspect are old .They have small ages cracks starting between the outer blocks .
    As usual with classics they date age first as opposed to wear out .
    They feel hard and dry .
    208,s run 185/70/14 and they need to rated to 130mph .

Googling the dims throws up all sorts of modern tyre eg Continental contact sports .
    There are others it’s a popular size .
    How ever it’s a 70 ,s car with 70,s suspension and rims .

Handles fine btw so not looking to fix a problem that does not exsisting handling wise .
    Suspension just been rebushed too ,so all tight and rattle free .

Currently it’s shod with Uniroyal rally 340 ,s from I think the early naughties ? .There tread pattern seems like a 70 ,s design.

How ever I,ve been looking @ these - the radial version and eyeballed a set at the NEC classic last month .
    They felt sticky/ soft when I squeezed the blocks ,bit like some Yokohama,s like fitted to a 911 in the 80 ,s which lasted 4000 miles of my driving back then .
    I,am quite sedate these days

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm

Any advice what to put on ?
    What’s other Ferrari 70,s cars using ?
    Last edited by Silver360; 28-11-2018 at 09:22 PM.

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Wouldn't you originally have had 205/70 like 308s or are you on narrower rims ? If so then the original XWX can be had (but in a newer compound I believe) - my recollection is other brands can be found much cheaper (Avon used to be popular)

Name
    Silver360 owner

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Wouldn't you originally have had 205/70 like 308s or are you on narrower rims ? If so then the original XWX can be had (but in a newer compound I believe) - my recollection is other brands can be found much cheaper (Avon used to be popular)
    6 1/2 inch rims , which are going for refurb hence may as well reboot .
    Thereís a sticker on the windshield that confirms the size and model of the car .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Interesting - maybe the slightly narrower tyre was due to the lower power - or just cost-cutting !

(as an aside I think Blockley do not show a 195 as in your photo just 185 & 205)

The 1976 308GT4 owners manual confirms they were supplied with 205/70 on 6 1/2 in rims so both sizes are possible
    Last edited by jos; 29-11-2018 at 07:21 AM.

AndrewE is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Andrew

IMO XWXs just look right for all 308s with 14" wheels

(but I'm biased)

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

mbwoy84 is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Shouldn't the 208 GT4 be 195/70/14?

I import tyres directly from the continent as it's often the cheapest way and access to a wider selection and have a good period-replica tyre available for both of those sizes.

Name
    Silver360 owner

Quote Originally Posted by mbwoy84 View Post
    Shouldn't the 208 GT4 be 195/70/14?

I import tyres directly from the continent as it's often the cheapest way and access to a wider selection and have a good period-replica tyre available for both of those sizes.
    Ideally yes but there is range with the 6 1/2 inch rims .
    The exsisting are 185 70 from 2003 rock hard dried out .
    Googling 195 70 14 results in a load of van tyres ,drop to 185 then the marority swings to cars .
    Itís the period looking pattern more than anything .
    Name:  BCBAC788-AFC4-4364-867B-5DB10DAE447B.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  31.9 KB

They will come back soon with the Brockleys on so weather permitting I,ll report on them .

Name
    Silver360 owner

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Seems odd that a set of skinny 185,s for a 160 Hp car cost more than a set of 275,40 for a 200 mph 600 Hp car Bentley GT .
    I think Longstone are taking the Micheal for the XWX or XDX .
    Remember it’s not wear it’s aging I have never actually replaced tyres on a Ferrari due to tread depth always been aging issues .

So I,am secretly hoping these Brockleys are soft like the Yokohama s I fitted on my 911 ( OEM Dunlop / Pirellis) and I actually wear them down before they harden and spider cracks appear between the tread blocks .
    That 86 aircoled Carrera - 911 did 20000 miles on OEM but only 3-4000 with the Yoko,s the grip difference was like night and day .And I didn’t park in in a field after going through a hedge backwards Which was the risk in those days .

From the little driving with the GT 4 it seems very well balanced and go cart like chassis wise .
    In fact the best / fun Ferrari i,ve had .
    The Testa on TRX ,s felt unbalanced too much Kg,s behind , too light up front , to much understeer .
    The 360;power steeering kills the absolute feel and it enters a neutral none feed back zone , just corners but gives back little pleasure .Sure quick lap times for thats worth ? Sure stiff chassis and quick bit you always felt like a passenger surrounded by technology and nannies doing it all for you .
    Last edited by Silver360; 05-12-2018 at 05:27 PM.