Thread: Motorbike transmission oil used in error!

Name
    robert batt

Default Motorbike transmission oil used in error!

I ordered 4 litres of LSX 75W-90 API GL4, GL5 Synthetic transmission oil from Eni for an oil change on my Mondial t's gearbox, together with a new magnetic trans plug and washer from our sponsor, Superformance.

I did the oil change last night and took the car for a good run early this morning. All good.

When I was clearing up the garage now I've noticed that 4 litres of API 75W-90 GL4 GL5 MOTOR BIKE transmission oil was delivered and unknowingly used in my oil change.

I'm hoping that the Eni Rotra LSX and Rotra bike are effectively the same synthetic oil. Does anyone know?

Thanks
    Last edited by Belfry; 24-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

This is what Moto World (SP sister co) sent me last year....it does say car/commercial on it.

Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  48.9 KB

Speak to Eni tech help as it might be the same but any doubt Id change it. Very spensive gear bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    birdseye

Dredging my memory here because I know there is a difference between motorbike oils and car oils but cant for the life of me remember if its engine oils or gear oils that are affected. Something to do with most bikes having wet clutches and lots of gears chopping up the long chain molecules in the lubricant. So instead of using a thin oil and raising viscosity with additives, they use a thick oil to start with.

Something like the above but likely I have garbled it. Either way, there is / was a difference bike vs car.

Name
    robert batt

The supplier sent me the correct oil a few days later. Oddly the gear changes were better and less notchy between 1st and 2nd with the bike oil!