Thread: Which 348 exhaust is this?

Name
    Ben

Default Which 348 exhaust is this?

Hi

Currently my 348 is completly stock, however i came upon this video from youtube and the sound at 1.08 has left me desiring more from mine than the stock exhaust note gives.

Does anyone know what it is, guessing a tubi?

https://youtu.be/idjmFZai3oE

Thanks

A348W is online now Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Think that is a custom exhaust. Check out the description below the video.

Lots and lots of opinions on exhaust, probably more than "what's the best colour" and as many threads kicking about!!

If you do get one, be sure you can live with it before parting with your cash! I'd pop around and listen to a few. I think there are a good 6ish 348s in the west all with different exhaust configurations. I'm sure people would be happy to help out if you ask.

I've got an early tubi (its thought) decatted. Doesn't wail like the one in the video, but also doesn't give me a headache!! Personally I'd find the one in the video annoying within 15 minutes. I'll be putting Nouvalari cats on this spring. Unfortunately I'm just over the 92 date threshold and my friendly test station has closed. Hopefully wont mute the sound too much.

Name
    Ben

Yes it would be best to listen to some in person before taking the plunge.I like the idea of the open + close valve systems, which i think is the capri unless tubi have one aswell.
    A little more noise and id have been happy enough with the stock exhaust!

Mines a 93 so good food for thought!

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

The exhaust in the vid sounds most like a Capristo, certainly not like a Tubi. The Capiís design gives more of a high pitch at high revs. Tubi gives a more Ďroundedí sound than most. Nouvalari like mine is more raw, especially the SuperSport. Then you have Quicksilver, xhost and others which fall pretty much between the Tubi and Nouvalari - not as Ďtunefulí as a Tubi or as raw as a Nouvalari. Depends entirely what youíre after.

This is my Nouvalari Supersport with Sports Cats (the red 348) vs straight pipes to show just how raw and essentially unsilenced a Supersport is. You absolutely have to listen through headphones, speakers on a pc wonít push out the base so itíll sound totally different. Donít get one without understanding neighbours - this is just with about half revs, wide open itís about 130db (measured not guessed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLvAjpEuMZ4&autoplay=0

Name
    Nos

p.s. Year no longer matters - if it left the factory with cats itís still an illegal modification to remove them which can, in theory, invalidate your insurance.

A348W is online now Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    p.s. Year no longer matters - if it left the factory with cats itís still an illegal modification to remove them which can, in theory, invalidate your insurance.
    Yup.

My problem is the system on the car has been there for a considerable amount of time, certainly long long before I got it. As the car was built 91/early 92 (I'd need to check), and first registered summer 92, who knows what it came with. The setup could very well be standard (it is all standard Ferrari part numbers); other than the muffler that is.

Problem is MOT stations use registration date not build date. Apparently a very common problem for cars at this time and some stations will accept a reasoned argument but most wont.

Anyway, I'm fitting cats in the spring as it is just the easier option; removing and debate.

Allandwf is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default Cats

I've just fitted Nous cats nouvalari sportcats to mine, May well go full exhaust soon.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Yup.

My problem is the system on the car has been there for a considerable amount of time, certainly long long before I got it. As the car was built 91/early 92 (I'd need to check), and first registered summer 92, who knows what it came with. The setup could very well be standard (it is all standard Ferrari part numbers); other than the muffler that is.

Problem is MOT stations use registration date not build date. Apparently a very common problem for cars at this time and some stations will accept a reasoned argument but most wont.

Anyway, I'm fitting cats in the spring as it is just the easier option; removing and debate.
    Very wise I'd say, especially with high flow sports cats which really don't restrict the airflow in any way, certainly not so you could notice it.

As far as I know the first 348 off the assembly line had cats as did all cars afterwards. Some had them removed for racing but all standard cars had them to start with. Challenge cars had them if they left the factory standard and were converted by the dealer here in the UK, not sure for the cars that left the factory as Challenge cars.

Name
    Nick

Here is my spin on it. After reading other owners posts over the last seven years and other evidence I believe 348s did leave the factory without cats. These will almost certainly be early Motronic 2.5 cars and also probably dependant on where the car was going as to have cats or not. . Here are a couple of pages out of the early parts manual showing both versions. Note the absence of the cat ECUs too on the non.. Also there is a picture of a new early road car showing it has test pipes rather than cats. You have to look carefully. Also there are various technical differences shown in the workshop manual between the two versions. i.e. valve clearances. There are more.

Name:  Ferrari exhaust scans.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  59.7 KBName:  Ferrari exhaust scans 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  Ferrari exhaust scans 3.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  112.1 KB

As for the Challenge cars the regs say they had to run cats and the Ferrari supplied specific exhaust systems. Scans from the regs book shown. Maybe this changed down the line with the change to Ferrari Challenge (355 introduction) but these are the 93 rules wether factory built or otherwise. I have a later regs book but can't find it at the moment. From what I can see, eventually there were two types of exhaust available one being just pipes with no muffler and chosen dependant of noise regs wherever the race was. I run the muffler version on my car.
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/f...t-system-25229

Name:  Ferrari exhaust scans 4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  53.6 KBName:  Ferrari exhaust scans 5.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  78.3 KB

Name
    Nos

I stand corrected, clearly some early cars left the factory without cats. Iíve seen a couple of Ď89 UK cars and they definitely had them. Only conclusion I can make is the non-cat cars were bound for somewhere else. Far east perhaps?