Thread: what should I look for in buying a manual 360 spider

Name
    birdseye

Default what should I look for in buying a manual 360 spider

I have the Voicey notes and others. Just wondering if owners would like to add any other issues to check out on a possible car.

Name
    ian

1. Check for smooth gear change from 4 to 5 and 3 to 4 .. if not bit of a job to get sorted !!
    2. Start from cold . Both banks should start evenly otherwise possible ECU problem, not cheap, ECUs hard to come by!!!
    3. New battery with life time gurantee
    4. Front ball joints. Best fix is not oem

Name
    birdseye

Arent ECUs available from the factory?

Name
    Rob

My view from a purchase of an F1 Spider last year... Get the car checked out by someone who knows the roof, can run checks on the ECUs and provide you details on the clutch wear etc, and can drive it down the road to get a feel for it.

I bought mine without any of the above and did similar research to you. But given how much parts can cost it makes sense to me to spend a bit on advice rather than take the risk unless you are looking to pick up something you intend to 'restore'. Mine had a really solid service record which helped give some reassurance but a visit to Christian Lewis this month for its annual service soon found a few niggles that had been overlooked or in the main poorly adjusted.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirelad View Post
    1. Check for smooth gear change from 4 to 5 and 3 to 4 .. if not bit of a job to get sorted !!
    2. Start from cold . Both banks should start evenly otherwise possible ECU problem, not cheap, ECUs hard to come by!!!
    3. New battery with life time gurantee
    4. Front ball joints. Best fix is not oem

Anecdotally manuals seem to go through synchro's more than F1's which is quite surprising in one way when you look at the Sport changes but not when you think the timing of the changes is perfect with an F1.
    An F1 engine cannot be buzzed as you can't select the wrong gear. So no concerns as per the Porsche over-rev issues with F1 cars.

I'm interested in point 2. What was your experience? I sometimes see a fluffy start from cold. Never an issue when the car's been run regularly or warm.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Name
    birdseye

Thats an interesting and reassuring thread

Name
    ian

Its a good check to see if ECU is working properly, 360 ecu units are on back order !!! So its a problem to get hold of any. And the gear change problem cost a fair few quid to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Anecdotally manuals seem to go through synchro's more than F1's which is quite surprising in one way when you look at the Sport changes but not when you think the timing of the changes is perfect with an F1.
    An F1 engine cannot be buzzed as you can't select the wrong gear. So no concerns as per the Porsche over-rev issues with F1 cars.

I'm interested in point 2. What was your experience? I sometimes see a fluffy start from cold. Never an issue when the car's been run regularly or warm.