Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FOC membership renewal

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by elt View Post
    John if you keep your tongue in cheek you will have trouble breathing. See you at the Grosvenor.

A348W is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by TerryG! View Post
    "It's supposed to be a club for all owners. Given the funds are spent centrally for the benefit of a few it misses that mark by a good margin. If the club had any interest in being there for all owners, a good 50% of the subs would be going out to the Area Groups rather than funding limited numbers events in the south of the country."

IMO a good point, well made.

The recent issue over an area group raising its own funds springs to mind.
    Well, as a newbie to all this, I cant help but agree with the above. The fact that the regional organisers get nothing seems very odd to me. So who benefits the most from the fees?

Some of the benefits of the club I will use this year, track day (yes I know), magazine, some local group events and that's about it. Others I wont use, but support e.g. library and others are not my cup of tea at all, galla dinners and picnics.

So on balance I have renewed, but will be voicing my opinion to the club in due course. Whilst I appreciate this will probably go nowhere as I'm sure like any club its the "old boy" network thing, if enough speak up, maybe something will change! But my involvement will go no further as I absolutely detest petty politics; life is to short for that rubbish so others that enjoy that can go play! I'd prefer to be putting some miles on my car

But the good thing from this, is forums like this exist

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Well, as a newbie to all this, I cant help but agree with the above. The fact that the regional organisers get nothing seems very odd to me. So who benefits the most from the fees?

Some of the benefits of the club I will use this year, track day (yes I know), magazine, some local group events and that's about it. Others I wont use, but support e.g. library and others are not my cup of tea at all, galla dinners and picnics.

So on balance I have renewed, but will be voicing my opinion to the club in due course. Whilst I appreciate this will probably go nowhere as I'm sure like any club its the "old boy" network thing, if enough speak up, maybe something will change! But my involvement will go no further as I absolutely detest petty politics; life is to short for that rubbish so others that enjoy that can go play! I'd prefer to be putting some miles on my car

About where I'm coming from and have done for the 8 or so years I've owned my car. Think I've been a member for 6 of them and it hasn't bothered me all that much, wasn't a member last year and won't be next year, simply very little point at the moment.

Regarding who benefits from the fees and whether it's actually interested in being an owners' club, simple question - how many places were available at the National Event this year and I'm guessing next vs how many members are there nationally in England, Wales and Scotland? Where was the event held vs where would be central if you took into consideration all members from north, south, east and west? I'm guessing a few members on here could answer that as they're AG organisers and could get the info if they actually wanted to. I also guess they won't as it'll reinforce exactly what I'm saying.

This isn't 'FOC bashing' which is just a lazy argument as is the 'if you don't like it don't join' line. When and if the FOC want to actually be an Owners' Club they'll look honestly at the wants and needs of all the owners (much of which is centred around the great work done by the Area Groups and their organisers) and actually focus their efforts and money there.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 10-11-2018 at 07:45 AM.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Today was a day when I really really enjoyed being a club member.

I was working on the Club stand at the Classic Car show at the NEC. I was of course doing that as a volunteer but I wouldn't have been there doing it if I wasn't a member.

We had a great display of 4 Dino 246GT and a 308 GT4 plus a 388 Challenge car. I spent all day enjoying talking to other members and exchanging information about the cars - none of which would probably have been there if the Club didn't exist. I learned a lot from members who know more than me. I discussed with some what I had done working on my car and got tips and gave tips. I took great pleasure in advising some general public who are considering buying a Ferrari (some probably dreamers but some probably serious). And also just explaining Ferrari history to the general public which I really enjoyed doing.

I met a lot of old friends and made some new ones.

All in all a wonderful day. That to me is why I continue to be an FOC member

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Pleased you enjoyed the day, Francis.

Doesn't change my central point that the club has probably slightly over 3000 members (according to Ferrari) involved to a greater or lesser extent with the Area Groups yet the money is kept central and goes on events that benefit a small central (geographically southern) few. 3000 members spread across the country and the annual event was tucked away right down south and only catered for 260 cars. Good luck arguing that's in any way acceptable for a national owners' club.

Look, I know the club 'works' for a few and I'm not saying anyone can't get involved if they want to. I'm just saying they appear to have no interest in making it work for the vast majority of members. As I said, for those in Scotland for example they pay their money to the club for the events and dinners they can't attend then meet up for free with each other - they are subsidising your (as in members down south) events and there's no other way to look at it.

I don't actually care all that much, it's only 125 last time I looked, hardly a vast sum compared to running these cars. I just think they should do things differently.

Truth is I just enjoy watching you try to defend the indefensible
    Last edited by Nosevi; 10-11-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Name
    pringle

Default FoC renewal

I've been an FoC member on three occasions over a thirty year time frame, each time after four or five years I've dropped out due to a slight feeling that nothing changes.
    This year I'm undecided once more, the fees for the National event last year I accepted as my wife was keen to go but if it's Danesfield House again I think that's an uninspiring decision.Also Grosvenor House seems a repeat, we are thinking of going but again unsure.Really these events need moving around the UK to make membership worthwhile for all.
    The AGO's do a good job I must say.

Mark

Name
    Terry Gardiner

For comparison, membership of the Morgan Sports Car Club is presently 42 p a in the UK and Warrington Motor Club (with a history going back to 1928) asks for just 5 of your English pounds.

For Ferrari owners 125 may not seem expensive but value for money is about more than the price. When I joined the FOC it was also one of the higher priced memberships, which I happily accepted because I felt I was getting a lot in exchange.

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

I dont see it changing. Problem is there is a spectrum of Ferrari owners ranging from those real car nuts running (say) a 348 on a shoestring and living in the "provinces" to the City dealers with collections including la Ferrari or like expensive cars. The latter wouldnt think twice about the cost of the Gala dinners and already lives near where all the big events happen. The former cant consider the Gala dinner because of cost including the hotel etc. The main club runs trips abroad costing thousands. Our local FOC branch runs a weekend away in Wales costing hundreds.

Sure the club central tries to cover all bases and you do see articles in the glossy magazine about owners of 328s as well as articles on the likes of the Pista, but it probably leaves no one impressed as a result.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I dont see it changing. Problem is there is a spectrum of Ferrari owners ranging from those real car nuts running (say) a 348 on a shoestring and living in the "provinces" to the City dealers with collections including la Ferrari or like expensive cars. The latter wouldnt think twice about the cost of the Gala dinners and already lives near where all the big events happen. The former cant consider the Gala dinner because of cost including the hotel etc. The main club runs trips abroad costing thousands. Our local FOC branch runs a weekend away in Wales costing hundreds.

Sure the club central tries to cover all bases and you do see articles in the glossy magazine about owners of 328s as well as articles on the likes of the Pista, but it probably leaves no one impressed as a result.
    Well - I just had published a 4 page article of my trip to Maranello in my GT4. No idea who was meant to be impressed, but I have had a number of messages from members who enjoyed reading it. So not exactly sure what impressing has to do with it and anyway that is not the point of doing it. Almost all of the members that I meet are complete car nuts. The membership no doubt also includes the city dealer type but I very rarely come across any of them. I do know some wealthy owners who have fantastic collections, but they do also know a lot about their cars and drive them as well as bringing them to events, and most of them, while being active members, don't go to the gala dinners.

It is just too easy to categorise owners.

Name
    Grant

There seems to be an impression that the cub caters for just the rich with their million pound cars.

Can I just point out that at this year’s concours, the BEST car in the concours was won by a guy who was up the night before, cleaning his car by torch light, and again at 6 in the morning, his car was a 355 and it rightfully won. So it’s not the million pound cars that win every time.

The club is evolving slowly, maybe too slowly for some, but change will come. Next year will be at Dansfield, but there will be meeting soon to try to find a suitable location for 2020 with a lot more driver participation hopfully.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast