Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FOC membership renewal

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    That's disappointing - I believe its time for a new venue, and a move a bit further north too (Northants always seems the perfect county for these type of events). I thought this was what the Club planned, sorry to mislead.
    I believe this was the initial plan earlier in the year Mark, but later I since murmurings that it might be Danesfield again. I have to say that despite it being very convenient for me personally I was disappointed. I have no idea of the reasoning but may discover more this weekend at the NEC

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Moore View Post
    I've never been a member of FOC probably due to the number of negative comments, but after 11 years ownership I am tempted to consider joining up next year.
    My local group would be Sussex, are there any members on here, are they very active, and do they still met at The Bolney Stage?
    I am not a Sussex member Jez, but John Wellard has always led a very active group and yes, they still meet at The Bolney Stage

Jez Moore is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Jez Moore

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    I am not a Sussex member Jez, but John Wellard has always led a very active group and yes, they still meet at The Bolney Stage
    Thank you Francis, not far away from home, I actually drive through Bolney on the way to work so no excuses I will make the effort and pop in. I really need to use the car more and get out to a few more events

456gtman is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    andy

Me personally, my membership has always been renewed annually by direct debit, but I maintained this because basically I couldn't be arsed to stop it. However I have never felt, whilst in it, that it has ever been value for money. I share the view of a lot of people (though granted, not everyone) that it still projects an image that says to the whole world "look at me, aren't I wonderful with my expensive car that you haven't got / can't afford". I see absolutely no reason whatsoever for every event to be (a) a black tie do and (b) inevitably at somewhere like the Grosvenor House. Invariably this is the very image I dislike intensely, and therefore as my personal choice, refuse to attend them, but equally I fully understand that for some people it is the polar opposite in that it is a chance to make the statement "look what I have achieved", in which case that is also perfectly understandable and why shouldn't they? Good luck to them. As with all things in life it comes back to a choice and a perception.
    As I am now in the process of selling my car, I will almost certainly end my FOC membership at the next renewal as it will have no use to me moving forward

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by 456gtman View Post
    ... "look at me, aren't I wonderful with my expensive car that you haven't got / can't afford". ...
    I actually think the opposite. To me, the owners' club windscreen sticker says "look at me, I'm a club member". A Ferrari without an owners' club windscreen sticker is more likely to make the statement "look at me, aren't I wonderful with my expensive car that you haven't got / can't afford"

Just my opinion.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post
    I actually think the opposite. To me, the owners' club windscreen sticker says "look at me, I'm a club member". A Ferrari without an owners' club windscreen sticker is more likely to make the statement "look at me, aren't I wonderful with my expensive car that you haven't got / can't afford"

Just my opinion.
    I'm not sure why an FOC sticker on the car makes a difference to anyone.. petrolhead or not?

In fact I have a FOC Regatta jacket that I like but get a little embarrassed wearing. I also have jackets with Ferrari logos but I can pass them off as me being an F1 Ferrari fan, which I am. The FOC jacket clearly says I am or was an owner. I mostly tell people if they ask (and I do not know them) "Anyone can attend a NW FOC event and buy a jacket" which they can, in fact when I bought it I don't think I was a member

It is the car that projects that impersonation of superiority and not the logo
    IMHO of course

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    It's that time of Year and for the first time in 21 Years I'm erring towards not renewing my membership.

I found the decision to book a venue for the national meet that would only accommodate less than 10% of the membership, limit access to one car per order and charge for entry to be a crazy situation and given that this would have been the only event I'd have gone to I just cant see the value anymore.

The trackday options are now extremely limited and in recent years have always been more costly than commercial operators and don't get me started on the driving standards

My local areas (Wessex and TV) are too far South or East to enjoy local meets

What else is there that others enjoy that makes it worthwhile?
    Absolutely nothing that comes from the center but my area, Cotswold, has an excellent leader and a very pleasant bunch of members so we would keep the membership going as long as that lasts.
    I'm a "clubby" sort of person - member of two car clubs and three yacht clubs. But I join for the social side and in your situation I would not renew
    Last edited by birdseye; 09-11-2018 at 04:39 PM.

elt is online now Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    paul elton

Just my opinion.
    John if you keep your tongue in cheek you will have trouble breathing. See you at the Grosvenor.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by 456gtman View Post
    I share the view of a lot of people (though granted, not everyone) that it still projects an image that says to the whole world "look at me, aren't I wonderful with my expensive car that you haven't got / can't afford".
    I disagree with both of these views, particularly not having an owners' club sticker making a difference in any way - not sure I have ever got round to putting an owners' club sticker in the window when I've been a member. Sorry, don't get that at all

What I will agree with is in years I've been a member the central events have been all but irrelevant to me (especially for a tenner you could attend the concours as a non-member anyway). The benefit I've got has been from having an active Area Group with a proactive guy leading it. My only 'quibble' has always been that the money I pay to the club doesn't go to the Area Groups at all, it all goes to the central club so I have, in effect, subsidised other people's posh dinners or other events. Either that or it's a bloody expensive magazine they produce.

Bottom line is the club IS good value for money ...if you live in the south and get involved with central club events. If you live oop north and/or have no interest in gala dinners and garden parties it really can't be argued to be good value for money because your money doesn't go towards anything the Area Groups do. I've always looked at it that in the grand scheme of things it's not that much and I enjoyed going to a few local events though.

Last point is that the argument that if you don't like it don't join that is often given is a little bit of a moot point. It's supposed to be a club for all owners. Given the funds are spent centrally for the benefit of a few it misses that mark by a good margin. If the club had any interest in being there for all owners, a good 50% of the subs would be going out to the Area Groups rather than funding limited numbers events in the south of the country. I'm not sure how Gordon gets anyone to join up there in the Arctic Circle. He must be a very persuasive man

Name
    Terry Gardiner

"It's supposed to be a club for all owners. Given the funds are spent centrally for the benefit of a few it misses that mark by a good margin. If the club had any interest in being there for all owners, a good 50% of the subs would be going out to the Area Groups rather than funding limited numbers events in the south of the country."

IMO a good point, well made.

The recent issue over an area group raising its own funds springs to mind.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast