Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 512 BBI buy or not ?

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Roger & Claire at KHPC used to use a Boxer for more or less daily transport as I recall they should have a good idea about them and are local

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Hi Maz, good to hear from you, haven't seen you for ages!, if it were me I'd consider asking Roger at The Ferrari Centre or MHT in the Cotswolds to check it over

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

I’m going to slightly disagree with two mates who talk investment potential and comparing with newer models in terms of performance. I’d argue buying a car of this ilk, particularly at this time in the market, is entirely about heart and not at all about head. I wouldn’t buy it now if you want an investment and I wouldn’t buy it at all if you want performance. But if you want a stunning classic with real presence for a sensible(ish) price I’d argue a boxer is a pretty good bet.

I don’t know the cars as well as Faisal owing to not being nearly as old but I’d think Boxers are like most older tipos - they improved and developed over time but the earliest varients tend to be the most sought after. It’s true the later Boxers were ‘Testarossas in nicer clothes’ but perhaps more accurate to say a Testarossa was merely a rebodied late Boxer with cabin overheating problems sorted out. However you look at it, going for a carbed car is arguably worth doing. In most cars at the time you lose something going from carbs to early fuel injection systems, beit performance (if that matters), sound or just old world feel. That said you often pay for that and so if you want to keep it moderately sensible a BBi may be a good option.

Inspection wise I’d say Tim’s not a bad bet. At the end of the day the real killer for older cars is often corrosion so as much as you want someone familiar with older cars you want someone thorough who’ll go over it with a fine tooth comb and I don’t know anyone more thorough than Tim.

At the end of the day, given the free funds (which I havent) I would. Nice dilemma to have
    Last edited by Nosevi; 01-11-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Name
    Maz

Thanks for all the feedback so far keep it coming.
    I should point it the car isnt for me, I’m still holding onto my trusty old 360 !
    The car is for a good friend who is looking to add to his small collection.

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I’m going to slightly disagree with two mates who talk investment potential and comparing with newer models in terms of performance. I’d argue buying a car of this ilk, particularly at this time in the market, is entirely about heart and not at all about head. I wouldn’t buy it now if you want an investment and I wouldn’t buy it at all if you want performance. But if you want a stunning classic with real presence for a sensible(ish) price I’d argue a boxer is a pretty good bet.

I don’t know the cars as well as Faisal owing to not being nearly as old but I’d think Boxers are like most older tipos - they improved and developed over time but the earliest varients tend to be the most sought after. It’s true the later Boxers were ‘Testarossas in nicer clothes’ but perhaps more accurate to say a Testarossa was merely a rebodied late Boxer with cabin overheating problems sorted out. However you look at it, going for a carbed car is arguably worth doing. In most cars at the time you lose something going from carbs to early fuel injection systems, beit performance (if that matters), sound or just old world feel. That said you often pay for that and so if you want to keep it moderately sensible a BBi may be a good option.

Inspection wise I’d say Tim’s not a bad bet. At the end of the day the real killer for older cars is often corrosion so as much as you want someone familiar with older cars you want someone thorough who’ll go over it with a fine tooth comb and I don’t know anyone more thorough than Tim.

At the end of the day, given the free funds (which I havent) I would. Nice dilemma to have

I mentioned investment because Maz told me off the forum it's for that purpose. There's a 16k mile Testarossa for sale for under £100k which puts things into perspective. For investment I still think a Carrera GT is a good long term bet seeing where McLaren F1 prices have gone and at this kind of money even an SLR.

Completely agree with you I love a carb car far more plus I've always loved the purer styling and wacky taillights of the 365BB and I've seen one with a sports exhaust with triple exhaust outlets each side which really looked cool. I think a Boxer should always have the two tone body.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A348W is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Were the first 512s not carbed, with the injection model following or am I mixing my 365 and 512?

Name
    cgt

Yes 365 and 512 were carb until the 512BBi was introduced in 1981. Most cars were 512 carb, 365 is the rarest variant.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    I mentioned investment because Maz told me off the forum it's for that purpose. There's a 16k mile Testarossa for sale for under £100k which puts things into perspective.

I'm just not 100% convinced now is the time to buy almost any car as an investment. 3 years ago was but now? The market tends to go in waves with peaks and troughs and you obviously want to buy in a trough if for investment. I think we're a bit closer to a peak than a trough right now but who knows.

Agree with the 2 tone body looking great on a Boxer.

Name
    cgt

Agreed. That ship sailed some time ago. The guy who bought my manual 575 has been trying to sell it for a couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Name
    Boxer

Of the three Boxer variants, the 365BB is the rarest and most challenging to drive. Personally preferred the 512BB over the 365BB. Not that big a fan of the BBi as it looses a bit of the character with the switch to fuel injection.

In terms of an inspection, I would send it down to Harvey at Carrs in Exeter.

Musings from a while ago: http://karenable.com/2017/12/memorie...errari-boxers/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast