Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 348 battery replacement for storage

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Default 348 battery replacement for storage

For reasons I won’t go into because it involves golf and you lot will take the piss, my 348 won’t be on the road next summer. She’ll probably be off the road for just the one year but there’s a possibility that could stretch to 2. Clearly I don’t want her just to sit for a year or possibly 2 so I’ll be following an ‘active storage’ programme and running her up, working all motors etc periodically.

Right on Q having taken her off the road for the winter the battery seems to have died. It’s either that or the battery conditioner (Accumate Carcoon charger) has packed up. My thought is it’s the battery though.

First question is do I not worry about it in storage, simply kill the power master switch between runs and jump start her each time - zero hassle as she’s nose into the garage? Downside I can see is her doing an ecu relearn each time with a lowcharge battery which might not be ideal? Or do I need to change the battery now or at least soon - significant hassle in comparison as she’s a ‘93 model so front battery.

Second question is if it really is a much better idea to change the battery now - wheel off, wheel arches out, skinned knuckles etc - has anyone done it recently and what battery would you recommend?

Bonus question - any way to replace a front battery without going in through the wheel arch? If so which is less of a faff?

Cheers.

Name
    Nos

Update: Battery seems totally dead, at least 2 separate battery chargers are saying so. My thought is running the engine on a buggered battery isnít a great plan for either the ECUs or alternator?

If thatís the case weíre onto option 2 - replacement battery recommendations and through wheel arch or not? Jacking the car in the garage isnít totally straight forward as itís a slate floor and I need to spread the load under and jack to stop it cracking the slate. Donít aske me how I know........

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I think I would replace the battery. I'm not sure jump starting it each time is a good idea. That said I'm guessing.

I was using a MayPole conditioner on my now sold Alfa. Long story short I thought the conditioner had packed up but it turned out to be a constant drain on the battery that I never solved. In the end I disconnected the battery and charged it. It charged up completely. I did replace the MayPole (sold it with the car) with a new Optimate which was when I realised as the light stayed orange, that somewhere it was leaking electricity badly.

Got pissed off with the car when the engine failed for the second time and just got shut without solving the discharge. Might be worth isolating the battery and trying to recharge if you've not already tried that.

Lots of ideas on storage but I only start mine over the winter if I need to move it. This year I am leaving the tax on it and hoping for salt free bright winter days.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    I think I would replace the battery. I'm not sure jump starting it each time is a good idea. That said I'm guessing.

I was using a MayPole conditioner on my now sold Alfa. Long story short I thought the conditioner had packed up but it turned out to be a constant drain on the battery that I never solved. In the end I disconnected the battery and charged it. It charged up completely. I did replace the MayPole (sold it with the car) with a new Optimate which was when I realised as the light stayed orange, that somewhere it was leaking electricity badly.

Got pissed off with the car when the engine failed for the second time and just got shut without solving the discharge. Might be worth isolating the battery and trying to recharge if you've not already tried that.

Lots of ideas on storage but I only start mine over the winter if I need to move it. This year I am leaving the tax on it and hoping for salt free bright winter days.
    Cheers Malc, I’ve come to the same conclusion re changing the battery. The light was staying orange on the charger, now it’s not showing any light (other than power in) on 2 separate chargers. Ran the car for while after jumping it, wasn’t enough power to turn the engine over right afterwards. Alternator snag wouldn’t effect the chargers not registering current so pretty sure it’s the battery.

I’m not in a desparate rush, master switch is killed and I won’t need to run her for a bit. If it was just over the winter I agree that not running is an option but as it’ll be a winter-summer-winter I’m not sure just sitting for all that time is the best way to go.

I’ve never replaced it but front battery replacement is apparently a faff. Added to which my trolly jack only just fits under the car, when I put a board under it to spread the load to stop it cracking the slate floor it won’t fit. So I either need a new lower profile trolly jack to change the battery or roll the car out of the garage to do it outside and hope I can start her again if the battery replacement throws up problems as I won’t be able to push he back in as it’s slightly up hill.

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Update: Battery seems totally dead, at least 2 separate battery chargers are saying so. My thought is running the engine on a buggered battery isnít a great plan for either the ECUs or alternator?

If thatís the case weíre onto option 2 - replacement battery recommendations and through wheel arch or not? Jacking the car in the garage isnít totally straight forward as itís a slate floor and I need to spread the load under and jack to stop it cracking the slate. Donít aske me how I know........
    Page C32 in the workshop manual has some general advice on battery charging and starting Pete. Maybe of use to you.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Page C32 in the workshop manual has some general advice on battery charging and starting Pete. Maybe of use to you.
    Cheers Nick, have got that in pdf on my laptop so will have a look

Guessing and battery they recommend would be from way back when, any recommendations from yourself on something that might suit from this century?

Name
    Nick

I used one of these last time. I stipulated it needed to be guaranteed for a minimum of 5 years. Im about 5.5 years now and no issues so far. May replace it next year just in case. Not the cheapest. Ive fitted a few of these without any problems.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANNER-ST....c100290.m3507

Bought locally.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    I used one of these last time. I stipulated it needed to be guaranteed for a minimum of 5 years. Im about 5.5 years now and no issues so far. May replace it next year just in case. Not the cheapest. Ive fitted a few of these without any problems.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANNER-ST....c100290.m3507

Bought locally.
    Cheers Nick. I’ve got to be careful about the size so want to be sure it’ll fit - mine’s a front battery model and looking in from the front headlight there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of room in there.

Edit: The ‘check if this fits’ says that battery fits an early 348 but not a later one. Guessing the size is different?
    Last edited by Nosevi; 25-10-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Name
    Nick

I don't think they will be different. It said 90-94 on the listing which covers both front and rear fitment. You could confirm with the seller first.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

You're going to need a new battery at some point Pete so you might as well bite the bullet now and get the benefit of it, rather than it being a faff to start the car next year when you clearly have better things to do than drive a Ferrari...

Which means it wont get started up of course..

Push it outside and have some mates on standby in case your change doesn't work out?? I'm a bit far away but if stuck.... or StevieG is close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast