Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 348 hot start kit

Name
    Ben

Default 348 hot start kit

Hello guys

Had some starting issues which a new battery seemed to fix for a short while however the problems back so im placing my bets that i have the hot start issue and need the relay mod

Can i buy a kit or do i have to make it myself? Not really electrically savvy

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ben111 View Post
    Hello guys

Had some starting issues which a new battery seemed to fix for a short while however the problems back so im placing my bets that i have the hot start issue and need the relay mod

Can i buy a kit or do i have to make it myself? Not really electrically savvy
    Seems expensive to me for what it is. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-WR1-S.../dp/B001COAX78

Have a search for... WR1 hot start kit. Maybe you can find it cheaper.

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

I bought the official kit for about 40 from USA but you could make one yourself - check out whats in it here

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...316#post747316

I reccomend them BTW - never had a fail to start since

16.85 from Rockauto (but there is carriage)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/bo...+solenoid,4188
    Last edited by irarref; 04-10-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Name
    Ben

Thanks ive ordered the kit.

Ive searched quite alot on the 348 start up issue however ive not found quite what im after

Basically the car always starts from cold, although even from cold it can struggle from time to time then other occasions fire instantly.

However from warm its always a struggle, sometimes it will start but struggle and sound like spanners for a few seconds then resume a normal engine note, then other times i will turn the key and not a sound, nothing, its also worth mentioning in this instance once whilst at crawling speed the engine switched off with the ignition on

Now i always have a jump starter pack with me which when connected to the car starts it everytime hot/cold. With this is mind does it point to any particular culprit?

As i said i put a new battery on the car so rule that out, And now ive ordered the relay which then leaves the flywheel grease and fuel regulators. Ive not come across anyone mentioning jump sets/starter packs when theve made their own threads so was hopeful the fact my jump pack cures my issue that this points to a particular part which needs looking at?

Hopefully the relay mod fixes it, as it stands i hate starting it up in public just incase, i find it very embarrassing!

Name
    Jeff

If you sometimes turn the key and there's absolutely nothing it does point to it being electrical as opposed to the flywheel problem.

BTW that used to happen to me before fitting the kit but if I left the car for a while it would then start so I'm hopeful it will fix your problem.

Name
    Ben

Yes regarding the turning of the key and nothing, if i leave the car for a while it will start but not always without furher hesitation.

Last time out for example, started from cold although not a clean start, 1 mile journey to petrol station, expecting an issue in a packed out station i turned the key and it starts immediately with the nice pitch you would expect from a ferrari

Before you fitted the relay did yours have both dead starts and reluctant starts? Im not ruling out the possibility i have both an electrical and mechanical issue given that i have both start issues

Name
    Nick

Best to keep an open mind but fit the relay kit first and at least that is taken out of the equation. Low cost item. I sometimes have an odd spluttery start but normally its a hot day when that happens. Like stopping for fuel say. Always starts though. There is a lot of heat in those engine bays which probably dosnt help.

Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ben111 View Post
    Before you fitted the relay did yours have both dead starts and reluctant starts?
    Yes but it was mostly completely dead. I'd usually leave it for 10 mins then it would start straight away.

Name
    Ben

Ok so update time (relay kit still hasnt arrived)

Somebody from the ferrari chat forum suggested i could have an alternator issue and the car weakening the battery, he said to check the voltage from the terminals with the engine running which i have and it reads 12.2.

I had the car on charge for from last sunday to monday afternoon, between monday and thursday evening the car starting perfect each time, even started fine from warm.

Now the reason i said between monday and thursday evening is because the cars developed an issue, whilst out thursday evening, i noticed the car hesitate once then just down the road from home the car lost power, it was like it was running out of fuel, which i havent ruled out as my guage can be a little tempermantal, it was reading 1/4 full at the time. I got home and went back out in the wifes car and came back with 2 petrol cans full of fuel.
    Put the fuel in and started the car but it now sounds rough, since this i also have an issue with my speedo not illuminating or the headlight symbol showing either, when i put the igition on all the usual symbols illuminate as normal, all the other electrics seem fine, radio, headlights.

Name
    Ian

12.2 volts is way too low assuming your meter is right. Check another car to prove your meter.
    It does sound like your alternator, or charging circuit could have a problem if your meter is accurate.
    Also might be worth checking connections between where you clip the jump start pack on and the battery.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast