Thread: Ferrari F430 cracked wheel. Repair or replace?

Name
    Me

Default Ferrari F430 cracked wheel. Repair or replace?

Hi.

So my F430 has a cracked front left wheel rim. The crack is about an inch long and is right on the edge of the inside of the wheel. I initially thought it was the tyre but when the tyre was taken off the crack was rather obvious. Since the tyre has been put back on the leak is so fast that I cannot drive the car or keep the tyre pumped up (goes down in around 10 minutes)

Just wanted to get a feel for people’s opinions before going out and blowing a packet on a new rim. Would you repair it? If so, where would you go? (I live in Cheshire if anyone has a recommendation). If you wouldn’t repair it then why not?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cheers!

Sheep

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Try The Wheel Restorer in Wrexham which isn’t too far.
    I’ve never used him personally but I believe he is very good.
    He repaired a guy at works 430 wheels and did a great job. If he’s painting them he’ll probably want to do the front and rear on the affected side.

M

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I would replace as it very difficult to mend a crack on some alloys. That "repaired" crack could burst off the rim and give you a blow out ........ not a problem on a sit on mower but on a fast car do you really want to risk a blow out at speed ???

Also the by the time you add the cost of fixing the crack along with having the reminder of the wheel checked for other hairline cracks and a repainting job a replacement wheel might not be much more expensive ??

Name
    Ian

Presumably you are thinking a welded repair. Problem is the end of the crack would be a high stress point or raiser. If the weld doesn’t go to the end of the crack then it might propagate further causing a failure when driving.

Name
    cgt

Is it a 19'' Challenge rim? My car developed a hairline crack on one of the spokes. Scarily, I only discovered it after getting back from a Euro trip that included some high speed stuff in Germany.

In the interests of safety I would just buy a new one. Sure, it probably can be repaired but safety first.