Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accident - would you take a courtesy car?

Name
    Mark

On the Ferrari: no. It's an occasional use car and I don't need it, and in fact with my policy I receive a handsome sum if I don't.

On my daily car: yes, but I wouldn't expect it to be at the same level of performance or value.

Ultimately I don't want to contribute needlessly to increasing everyone's insurance premium.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

My current thinking is that I won't - but with a caveat.

The third party insurers need to play ball. They need to do what they say, and not make this difficult. If they start messing me around, or dragging their heels - then they may find that I miss being able to use my car and therefore want a similar spec car while I'm waiting for mine to be fixed.

Last night, I was impressed. They contacted me very quickly - less than 4 hours after the accident, admitted liability and couldn't have been more helpful / friendly. Today I'm slightly less impressed - they were supposed to call me 2 hours ago to arrange an inspection of the car, and I still haven't heard from them.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

It sounds like it will all come good. Give them 24 hours

Name
    Dave

OK - another question.

I intend to get the car repaired at Riviera - I've used them before, and their work was superb. I also trust them to sort anything out if I find that something has gone wrong with the repair a year or two down the line.

But.... I asked the same question about the courtesy car on another forum and somebody has commented and said you MUST use a manufacturer approved repairer for peace of mind.

Thoughts? (And if so - anybody know any in the South East?)

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Maybe on a newer warranted car but as long as the paying insurer is happy with your choice I'm sure they'd prefer not to pay for Bodytechnique in Slough who are the nearest official body shop

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I suspect that if you choose Riviera against there advice then they may challenge if in two years the paint goes all orange peely.
    It wouldn’t stop me using someone I totally trusted though but you can ask the question about warranty and they may even be on their list.

The reason they are in direct contact is to minimise the admin cost and prevent any credit hire rip-off etc from an accident management company.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I suspect that if you choose Riviera against there advice then they may challenge if in two years the paint goes all orange peely.
    It wouldn’t stop me using someone I totally trusted though but you can ask the question about warranty and they may even be on their list.

The reason they are in direct contact is to minimise the admin cost and prevent any credit hire rip-off etc from an accident management company.
    To be honest, I trust Riviera enough that if it went orange peel I'd talk directly to Riviera anyway even if it was on their list of repair places.

Name
    Dave

Thought I'd use this thread to document what happens with my claim. It might become an example of what-not-to-do when somebody drives into you!

So - when the third party insurers (Direct Line) called me on Tuesday night, they told me that the inspection engineer would call me at 11am on Wednesday morning to arrange an inspection of the car.
    11am came and went, so in the afternoon I called Direct Line. I was told that I'd been misinformed - the engineer call would come within 48 hours of my initial call.
    It got to 4.30pm on Thursday - which meant that they only had 30 mins until their engineering office closed and they 48 hours was going to be up - so I called them. I got put through to a "customer liason officer" who told me that it was up to me whether I wanted the engineer to inspect the car - she would send me a link and I could simply send photos and videos. So I did that last night - I already had photos of the damage, but they wanted photos of the entire front, rear and each side of the car - plus a video - so it was a bit of a pain having to get it out of the garage just for that.

Apparently, the engineer will use these photos / video to "discuss" the repair with the bodyshop - basically to make sure that estimates are reasonable. I questioned what this meant, and used the example of the damaged bumper - I said, is your engineer going to tell the bodyshop he can pick up a used bumper from a breaker for £200? She assured me that this was not what the engineer would do, it was purely to protect against inflated prices......

I will call Riviera today, and arrange for dropping off the car - I guess probably tomorrow morning. Although - I believe that the third party insurers say that they can arrange to have the car transported to and from the bodyshop at no cost to me. Although the car is perfectly driveable, I'm tempted to do that - it's a 2 hour drive to Riviera since they moved, plus either a 2 hour drive back or messing about with trains (which due to the current winds, might not all be running anyway). I'm tempted to minimise my incovenience.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

On balance I would probably take the courtesy car

pros - Gives you a Ferrari to drive for petrol money only , extortionate daily cost will speed up the repair of your car, it might be a different tipo so would give you the experience of a longer term test drive, you could use it as a daily

cons - Might contribute to excessive premiums in the industry (I doubt that your case will have any impact), if you have to wait a long time for some new parts then the cost of the courtesy car could make a write off more likely (you say its a small job but wont know until detailed work starts).

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    On balance I would probably take the courtesy car

pros - Gives you a Ferrari to drive for petrol money only , extortionate daily cost will speed up the repair of your car, it might be a different tipo so would give you the experience of a longer term test drive, you could use it as a daily

cons - Might contribute to excessive premiums in the industry (I doubt that your case will have any impact), if you have to wait a long time for some new parts then the cost of the courtesy car could make a write off more likely (you say its a small job but wont know until detailed work starts).
    At the moment, my feeling is I won't - however, if there is significant delay due to parts etc. (not sure how readily available the side skirt is and I'm pretty sure I need one of them) - then I will reconsider.
    This is the damage - it certainly shouldn't be a write off, although if it was then I'd be getting my insurers involved :

Name:  Accident_Damage_18_09_18_shrunk.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  63.8 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast