Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accident - would you take a courtesy car?

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Default Accident - would you take a courtesy car?

I mentioned on the insurance thread that - yesterday - a rather elderly lady decided to exit a roundabout from the wrong lane - ignoring the fact that my 360 was in the way. Her insurance company called me last night and said that she had admitted liability and they accepted that they would be paying for all my repairs.
    During the discussion, they mentioned a courtesy car - I said I didn't need one, and they confirmed that in the email they sent later but said I'm free to change my mind at any time.

However - having received the letter confirming the claim, the section in there states that they will provide a "similar" car at no cost to me. And they list cars in different sections (town cars, tow cars, premium cars etc.).
    Much to my surprise, on the list of premium cars - there is a Ferrari. It's a little difficult to tell what it is, because it says "Ferrari 340 coupe" - so I'm guessing it's a 430 and they've transposed the numbers, or it might actually be a 360.

I must admit - I'm now tempted. Obviously I don't "need" it - the 360 is one of four cars, and an occasional use one. However - I will be without the car for however long it takes to repair it and if we have decent weather, that's going to be pretty frustrating. Plus - from a purely selfish point of view - if it's somebody elses car, I might simply make it my daily while mine is being repaired!

So what's the general view. Would you take the courtesy car? Or am I just being greedy?

And is there likely to be any unexpected consequence? It's a no fault claim - but if I took the car it will massively increase their claim cost. The Ferrari rate is listed at £506.08 per day - even if my car is repaired in 10 days (rather unlikely) that's adding £10k+ to the bill.

A348W is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Hell yes I'd take one if somebody else was covering the cost. Its not your fault your without your car!!

Just need to check details on mileage limitations, insurance/excess etc...the usual.

Challenge will be to see how many time you can drive to the south of France and back in the period you have the car

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Hell yes I'd take one if somebody else was covering the cost. Its not your fault your without your car!!

Just need to check details on mileage limitations, insurance/excess etc...the usual.

Challenge will be to see how many time you can drive to the south of France and back in the period you have the car
    Excess is £50. Mileage limitation is that they need to be informed if I will exceed 2800 miles in 28 days.

I am tempted. But I do feel guilty - it was a 10mph shunt, and fixing the 360 is unlikely to be that cheap anyway. Adding £10k-20k in hire car costs in case I want to use a Ferrari for a couple of sunny days feels....... greedy. I think it's worse because she was ~80 years old, and I'm picturing her renewal next year when she has to declare a £20k+ claim for a 10mph shunt!

Fluffekins is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Russell

Purely personal view - I wouldn't take it unless I really needed it. There's a whole industry around credit hire cars that is full of unscrupulous outfits trying to make a quick buck at someone else's expense and when looking at the person that unfortunately hit you, their insurance premiums (or their ability to buy insurance) for years to come will be affected as a result.

A348W is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Fair points!

I guess if you didn't have any plans/trips it would be a bit rude/greedy, but if you had the odd trip planned in that would be something else, and I'd be tempted to just ask for one to cover those.

At the end of the day you have to do what lets you sleep at night!

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Funnily enough I was having a similar conversation at the weekend, although of a hypothetical nature after thinking about Mod's experience when someone ran into his 599 last year.

I see both sides - if your only car was a people carrier and you had 5 kids, you need a like-for-like courtesy car; a Corsa is no use. However, as you've said it's not a big issue to be without it - when our cars get serviced/repaired we don't get an equivalent courtesy car for 2 weeks to run about in, we just accept it. But this isn't routine maintenance or your fault.

The one thing that really bothers me (slightly OT rant) is accidents like this where fault is clearly attributable, no points get put on licences; yet (say) 72 in a 60 limit gets me 3 points when I didn't cause anyone any harm or loss. So I would tend to lean towards screwing someone over out of pure spite, just to teach them a lesson

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I wouldn’t take it....
    Ultimately its punters like us who’ll pay for it. Another inflated 360 claim pushes the general risk up on 360’s etc.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I wouldn’t take it....
    Ultimately its punters like us who’ll pay for it. Another inflated 360 claim pushes the general risk up on 360’s etc.
    Now that's an interesting point - how does this kind of thing affect insurers view of risk?

Since it's non fault, I'd assume that insurers would now view 80 year old Kia drivers as a higher risk, not handsome 360 drivers. But I guess it makes a difference to both.

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

I declared a no-fault claim on another car as part of a renewal and the premium was put up......I queried it and was told essentially because I had put myself in the position to have the accident I was now a worse risk

One other factor to remember is that the replacement car costs are factored into the write-off point for the damaged car

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Interesting topic. As it is purely a weekend thing IMHO I would not take any car. However you are free to do as you wish, you may well be without the car for a short time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast