Thread: 550 dropping windows

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Default 550 dropping windows

I bought my 550 with 26000 on the clock nearly 10 years ago and as a condition of the sale I insisted that the dropped windows were repaired. Now with over 68000 completed they are again dropping, indeed I will soon be able to get in and out of the car without opening the doors. This is neither good for security nor wind noise.
    So is it a DIY job or will I have to bite the bullet and actually pay to have it sorted? Does anyone know what the problem is and are there any modifications available to cure this well known issue, also affecting the 456?
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Have you checked on the Murcan Ferrari site?

Name
    Davo

Sweeni, are you on about the automatic window dropping when your open the door ?

on the 456, there is a tiny switch in the door lock block that drops the window - sounds like that has failed - you can test by pressing it with the door open.
    the switch is the hoop, you can just make it out on the attached photos - you push it towards the seal - you'll feel it with your fingers.

not to be confused with the interior light switch partly shown at the top of the photo :-).

The door lock block is quite easy to replace - just 2 bolts and a push on electric connector for the switch.

or are you on about the fact that they drop at the back top and you're getting wind noise in that way ?
    If so, the whole window mechanism inside the door can be adjusted in position to counteract this - but its fiddly, and I know of one car who's owner broke 2 windows trying to adjust it.
    I believe its a tiny pin, that starts to bend that causes the issue.
    the US Chat site gives a lot more info for the 456 issue
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Davo456; 21-10-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: confused over what issue OP was trying to solve

Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    Have you checked on the Murcan Ferrari site?
    Not heard of that one, and unable to find it 🤔
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    David Todd

Just had the car in for service with Adam at AE and he tells me that there is not a lot that can be done due to the poxy design of the system. He has adjusted as far as he can but it’s never going to be good. 😡