Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Petrol in Ferrari

Name
    Darcy

Default What Petrol in Ferrari

Hi peeps,

Can everyone confirm what petrol they put in there cars ie premium or regular.

I have been reading a few things online lately which state putting premium in your car although will help with the engine it does not mean it runs any better and that regular certainly won't affect your car.

Up until now I have been putting premium in but if everyone can let me know your thoughts as the station which does this fuel is a fair distance for me each time.

Thanks

Darcy

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

If the place has premium I use premium, if not I use regular. Canít say Iíve ever noticed a difference

Brownie360 is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    Steven

Premium. No great logical argument but it feels right.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Both are fine.....

On long trips into Europe for example you will add 10% to an already big fuel bill and thatís if you can find Premium.

I used nothing but VPower for the first couple of years but TBH I cant tell the difference and mine runs better with regular use than which fuel I choose.

Name
    Darcy

so it doesn't actually do any damage to the car etc?

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I use regular, just like it says in the owners manual

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

The only thing that will bugger the car up is ethernol. If you dont use the car much then I would try and fill with ethernol free petrol, as the ethernol is a corrosive acid and will want to eat aluminium, dry out and crack flexible fuel lines, and absorb water. In extreme cases it can grow a weird fungus which will block up anything that has survived the initial ethernol attack

Of course ethernol resistant flexible fuel pipes are available, and your car may well have them but its still horrible stuff that will want to eat your car. (There are good reason why aircraft quality fuel doesnt have any ethernol in it).

Check out on line which garages still sell ethernol free fuel ( This varies by area for example my local Esso and some BP sells ethernol free but you cant get the same Esso fuel in Devon/Cornwall as its all determined by which refinery they use).

The amount of ethernol varies with 5% being common and some now going to 15%. I wouldnt put the 15% stuff into my Ferrari even if it was free !!

If you lay the car up over the winter then I would consider driving round until virtually empty then filling with ethernol free subsequent for long term storage. I do this and leave it full, some leave it near empty but that might lead to condensation and water contamination when you start up the following season.

Name
    Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    The only thing that will bugger the car up is ethernol. If you dont use the car much then I would try and fill with ethernol free petrol, as the ethernol is a corrosive acid and will want to eat aluminium, dry out and crack flexible fuel lines, and absorb water. In extreme cases it can grow a weird fungus which will block up anything that has survived the initial ethernol attack

Of course ethernol resistant flexible fuel pipes are available, and your car may well have them but its still horrible stuff that will want to eat your car. (There are good reason why aircraft quality fuel doesnt have any ethernol in it).

Check out on line which garages still sell ethernol free fuel ( This varies by area for example my local Esso and some BP sells ethernol free but you cant get the same Esso fuel in Devon/Cornwall as its all determined by which refinery they use).

The amount of ethernol varies with 5% being common and some now going to 15%. I wouldnt put the 15% stuff into my Ferrari even if it was free !!

If you lay the car up over the winter then I would consider driving round until virtually empty then filling with ethernol free subsequent for long term storage. I do this and leave it full, some leave it near empty but that might lead to condensation and water contamination when you start up the following season.
    thanks for the advise, yes I will be putting away in the garage over winter time.

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

What octane does your owners manual suggest ?

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

My carburetted 308 GT4 definitely prefers premium!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast