Thread: 360 Wing Mirror Removal

Name
    Peter White

Default 360 Wing Mirror Removal

I need to remove the wing mirrors (including the mounting stubs) on my 360 to enable me to sort out some minor paintwork issues.

Started with the passenger side and stripped out all the door card/and door handle and removed 2 small phillips screws and one allen screw which all appear to go from the inside,

through the door, and into the mounting stub.

Unfortunately the mounting stub still seems securely attached to the door. There seems to be something else still attaching it which is hidden by the large triangular rubber seal/gasket.

There appears to be no way of stretching the seal/gasket to reveal the offending item as whatever it is seems also to be securing the seal/gasket.

Anybody else here who has removed the wing mirrors and knows what I am talking about ? If so all advice most welcome.

Pete

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I'm not sure about the mirror itself but the large triangle comes away. You can prise it out from its rubber channels (assuming we're talking about the same thing!).

If you could take a few pictures along the way that could be useful for us in the future as it's not an uncommon area for the 360 to see minor bubbling in the paint there.

Name
    Peter White

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I'm not sure about the mirror itself but the large triangle comes away. You can prise it out from its rubber channels (assuming we're talking about the same thing!).

If you could take a few pictures along the way that could be useful for us in the future as it's not an uncommon area for the 360 to see minor bubbling in the paint there.
    Thanks for that. Having to put things on hold for a while and will get back on to the job in a few weeks time.

Name
    Peter White

Been away/busy and only just got back on to the wing mirror removal prior to getting the top part of the passenger door resprayed due to a bit of bubbling.
    Must say it's a bit of a fiddly job getting the wing mirror off but finally did it.
    Hopefully some pictures are attached showing where I am up to. I have rubbed down the triangular aluminium cover which was looking past its best and will prime and paint this myself using aerosol paint.
    The spraying of the door I am leaving to a guy who has done very good paintwork for me before. As it's difficult to get the car to him as it currently is, he is bringing his spray kit to me (I have a compressor) and doing it in my workshop. Will post more when there is further progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Name
    Mark

Hi Pete

Really interested in this as I need to do the same thing!

How did you get the mirrors off in the end? I want to get good access to the black triangular back plate which is bubbling and I would like to rub it down and repaint it. I could probably do it on the car, but it would be a lot easier if I could get it off safely.

Cheers

Mark

Name
    Peter White

Quote Originally Posted by MBL View Post
    Hi Pete

Really interested in this as I need to do the same thing!

How did you get the mirrors off in the end? I want to get good access to the black triangular back plate which is bubbling and I would like to rub it down and repaint it. I could probably do it on the car, but it would be a lot easier if I could get it off safely.

Cheers

Mark
    Hi Mark,

You need to get the silver door storage panel and door card off first (which is fairly straightforward just make a note/photograph where the different screws come from) then the speaker in the triangular surround (straightforward). I started to struggle when trying to find the two securing nuts which actually attach the wing mirror to the door. There are 3 phillips headed and 1 allen headed screws which attach the triangular aluminium surround to the mirror assembly. I fiddled around removing these and I don't think you actually need to do this to get the whole mirror assembly off. You just undo them after the mirror is off to remove the surround. The two nuts to get the mirror assembly off are hidden behind the sticky foam rubber which seals the hole going to the stub part of the mirror. Poke through this with a screwdriver to help feel and see (torch) the nuts. Get somebody to support the mirror whilst doing this. Remove the mirror whilst carefully pulling the 2 connecting cables through the sticky foam rubber (It is probably possible to remove this foam rubber first). I have posted up more photos including one showing the mirror reassembled with the surround repainted. The blue cables hooked over the bracket go to the speaker in the triangular surround. The main door speaker cables have to be unscrewed from what I presume is an amplifier. You can see the gaps where they should be attached.
    I started this job a while ago and obviously I hit problems with it (hence the post on CS) and since then I have been away. Consequently, some recollections of what I have done might be a bit vague.
    Hope this helps you.

Best of luck

Pete

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I had bubbling in the same place on my nearside door. I took mine to WalkerSport and they did a great job and at a very reasonable price.

Name
    Peter White

Finally got the paintwork completed on the passenger door and got it all back together again. Very pleased with the end result.
    Since starting the job the driver's side has got worse so I have just stripped out the driver's door and removed the wing mirror so I can do the same on the other side.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Looks great. Giallo I do like it.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark