Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McLaren 650S Spider: 3 Years as my Daily Driver

Name
    Boxer

Default McLaren 650S Spider: 3 Years as my Daily Driver

Just crossed the anniversary line for using the McLaren 650S Spider as my daily driver for 3 years. Just finished an article on the experience:

http://karenable.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Carl

Great info. A supercar that's useable daily.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo348 View Post
    Great info. A supercar that's useable daily.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Thanks. It has been more reliable and cheaper to run than our Porsche Cayenne.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Interesting to hear; thanks for writing up.

What sort of mileage did you cover in that time?

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Interesting to hear; thanks for writing up.

What sort of mileage did you cover in that time?
    About 3k a year. I travel more that 50% of the time which is why it seems a bit low. Also 675LT Spider and F40 have been getting all the road trip duties.

Mulc is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Malcolm

Sorry slightly off topic. I am thinking of getting a Porsche Cayenne as a daily, so am more than a tad interested in reliability issues you experienced.
    I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    About 3k a year. I travel more that 50% of the time which is why it seems a bit low. Also 675LT Spider and F40 have been getting all the road trip duties.
    That's certainly reasonable mileage on a daily, especially with a lot of travel.

(I use to do lots of travel in a pervious job, damn glad I don't anymore. Spending the airmiles was nice, but accumulating them certainly wasn't.)

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Just crossed the anniversary line for using the McLaren 650S Spider as my daily driver for 3 years. Just finished an article on the experience:

http://karenable.com
    Interesting read. I was fortunate enough yesterday to have a trip out in a 675LT Spider. A friend had sold his 458 Speciale and replaced it with the 675. Jeez, what a machine. I've been fortunate enough to own a few Supercars, had drive's of some hypercar's (F40's etc) but the 675 really is something else

I am still reeling from the acceleration and sound of this car. Not really a big Maclaren fan but it's fair to say, I'm wholly impressed with the 675LT

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

I keep finding myself looking at McLarens, and have been again over the last few days. I think they're stunning looking cars and the appreciation of Ferrari's and the depreciation of McLarens makes the 12Cs a possibility. When I looked a couple of years ago, I reckoned I'd need to sell the 360, sell the Aston and find 30k. Now I reckon I could sell the 360, keep the Aston and simply add 20k to get on the bottom rung. But, the cons.....

Running costs are high. I wouldn't own one without a warranty, and that's 5.5k a year. Although it is apparently very comprehensive.
    When I enquired about insurance a couple of years ago, I was told that car alone would be over 2k - which is more than I currently pay for all 4 cars combined.
    Everything is still "too McLaren". Even if you accept that you won't find a local indy to service the car, they haven't even released the paint codes. It's all too tied in.

Biggest con for me though - and this is an odd one - is that I don't think I actually want a ~600bhp rwd car. I know that my 360 isn't much faster than the average hot hatch these days - but to me, it's a pretty perfect balance of speed, noise and handling.

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Mulc View Post
    Sorry slightly off topic. I am thinking of getting a Porsche Cayenne as a daily, so am more than a tad interested in reliability issues you experienced.
    On the Cayenne, we have had to replace vacuum hoses, drive shaft, seat back on the drivers side (it literally fell off one day) windshield wiper fluid system and a list of other annoying items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast