Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand polishing an option?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Hand polishing an option?

Hi all, just thought I’d share something.

I actually own a DA polisher but tbh only use it for buffing. Full paint correction and I go to the professionals (have used Topaz previously) - cheaper to use them than pay for a full respray

Anyway, although my car looks ok in sunlight, time, washing and actually using it have taken their toll and up close there’s a lot of ‘spidering’ and hairline scratches. This tends to lighten the colour and just slightly kill the gleam. So rather than use my polisher I set to on a small section seeing what can be achieved by hand. Pretty happy with the reslts if I’m honest:

An untouched area:

Name:  EA305B60-A4BE-4EEB-A8B0-6E7B792255F1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  20.6 KB

An area next to it I had a go at:

Name:  19B5A59D-22D8-4B12-B0D6-7F2D190784B4.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  15.9 KB

Vid going from one to the other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE8rMSr2e74&autoplay=0

And the compound/pad combos I used - Megs Ultimate Compound with a small polishing pad and Megs finishing compound with a small finishing pad, here displayed on top of my posey, official Ferrari tool cart. Swisswax Scuderia on top but it’s actually on top of both areas.

Name:  71391414-E5FF-47A1-BC87-24A37F9912D3.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  41.7 KB

Overall I’m happy with the result, it’s essentially as close to perfect as I can get, but it comes with a ‘health warning’. Doing the whole car will probably be a winter project. It has the effect of making the area you do look darker due to the deeper shine so you won’t want to just do a panel at a time, and it takes ‘kin ages. To get it to absolutely perfect it was 4 hits with the Ultimate compound, 2 with the finishing polish and 2 coats of Swisswax. It’s just time though, and as I like doing things to my car over the winter but I’m too much of a tart to take her out, I may as well take my time and do the whole car over a few weeks or months. Might as well - will stop me fiddling with things that aren’t actually broken........until I fiddle with them, obviously
    Last edited by Nosevi; 26-05-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Name
    Paul Marsh

Thatís impressive work, as you know I am doing some home detailing so will look at mine too. I am trying out lots of different products so will see what works best but liking your results. I like to tackle a panel at a time or do one panel then do something on the interior then back to another panel - unfortunately doing it my way its a never ending job!!

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I managed to do mine with the DA over winter, it's really satisfying when you see what you can achieve

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I wouldnít be afraid of using the DA Pete. Just nice and carefully and watch the angles.
    Iíve done our Z4 today using the Meguiars micro fibre system.
    Very gentle and good results.

I struggle with elbows now if i polish by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by paulbeckham11 View Post
    Thatís impressive work, as you know I am doing some home detailing so will look at mine too. I am trying out lots of different products so will see what works best but liking your results. I like to tackle a panel at a time or do one panel then do something on the interior then back to another panel - unfortunately doing it my way its a never ending job!!
    Thanks. Was one of those rare occasions when the results were actually better than anticipated

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    I managed to do mine with the DA over winter, it's really satisfying when you see what you can achieve
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I wouldnít be afraid of using the DA Pete. Just nice and carefully and watch the angles.
    Iíve done our Z4 today using the Meguiars micro fibre system.
    Very gentle and good results.

I struggle with elbows now if i polish by hand.
    I have used the DA a bit before and got good results......... But I've never been brave enough to be aggressive enough to get results quite like this. There's probably an argument for doing the worst with the DA then finishing off by hand, that would save a lot of time while not risking overdoing an edge or an area. I have cutting (daren't use!) polishing and finishing pads in large and small for the DA so I can use the same starting combo of Ultimate Compound and polishing pad with the DA first.

Truth is it's pretty satisfying doing it by hand, hard work but satisfying. With the car off the road for a good 5 months over the winter there's plenty of time to get it all done slow time. Mad as it may seem part of me wants to do it by hand. We'll see if that lasts past the first 2 larger panels

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

It was the Megs compounds I used, with foam pads. You'd have to be going daft IMO to do any damage, just keep an eye on the panel and the temperature of it.

I really wouldn't fancy correcting a whole car by hand

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    It was the Megs compounds I used, with foam pads. You'd have to be going daft IMO to do any damage, just keep an eye on the panel and the temperature of it.

I really wouldn't fancy correcting a whole car by hand

My car was after I got her resprayed - a guy 'colour sanded' the whole car by hand with ridiculously fine sandpaper (felt just like smotth paper, think it was either 10000 grit but could be wrong) and the results were incredible.

Having used a DA and had a bash by hand, I think the difference is, by hand you can give any small area only as much as it needs and there's essentially zero risk. With a DA, you can do a far larger area but in order to do the bad areas down to perfect you have to do all the other areas around it as much. I'm not saying it's not possible to get great results, just that you have to be more aggressive to get the same results.

You're right that'd it'll take time but as I say, like working on the car and if nothing's broken by winter I'll have 5 or 6 months to get it done. Wouldn't have though it'd be a snag for you - you'd have, what, 9 months?
    Last edited by Nosevi; 27-05-2018 at 07:27 AM.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Just make sure you change hands at 99 ....... or you might build up massive biceps on one arm

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Just make sure you change hands at 99 ....... or you might build up massive biceps on one arm

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

An interesting thread Pete and something I've been thinking about for ages. I'll be practicing heavily on my little Boxster first though as that needs some serious TLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast