Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belts interval with modern belts

Nosevi is offline I have no life Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Default Belts interval with modern belts

Interesting. And not just because my latest bets service cost a silly amount........

Harry normally speaks a lot of sense though.

https://twitter.com/harrym_vids/stat...638813697?s=19

Name
    Nos

For those without Twitter:

Name:  4699BB90-2144-442B-A7A1-85DC198C1752.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  44.1 KB

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

For the benefit of those who read this in the future its not just about the belts in isolation its very much about the tensioner bearings associated with the belts too - as an example lack of use of the car can encourage the bearings to seize or fail which can then lead to as expensive an engine issue as if the belts had failed

https://aldousvoice.com/2015/08/11/f...-timing-belts/

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    For the benefit of those who read this in the future its not just about the belts in isolation its very much about the tensioner bearings associated with the belts too - as an example lack of use of the car can encourage the bearings to seize or fail which can then lead to as expensive an engine issue as if the belts had failed

https://aldousvoice.com/2015/08/11/f...-timing-belts/
    Absolutely, Jos. Personally I fit Hills tentioner bearings as they are generally regarded as superior to OEM. Changing the belts every 5 or 6 years I’d do that at every belt service. That’s only an additional £250 ish once every 5 years and well worth it imo. If you changed the belts every 3 years you’d be unlikely to change the tentioner bearings every time so with say a 6 year cycle rather than a 3 you’re actually changing the bearing just as often.

Regarding things like the bearings seizing, that’s one of the reasons I run my car fully up to temp every month over the winter.

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Absolutely, Jos. Personally I fit Hills tentioner bearings as they are generally regarded as superior to OEM. Changing the belts every 5 or 6 years Iíd do that at every belt service. Thatís only an additional £250 ish once every 5 years and well worth it imo. If you changed the belts every 3 years youíd be unlikely to change the tentioner bearings every time so with say a 6 year cycle rather than a 3 youíre actually changing the bearing just as often.

Regarding things like the bearings seizing, thatís one of the reasons I run my car fully up to temp every month over the winter.
    I'd change tensioner bearings every 3 years irrespective of Hill's bearings. FWIW my BIL's 348 last cam belt change (3rd year) needed tensioner bearings and they were Hills items from 3 years previously with very little mileage

The question is - would you "risk" not doing the belts every 3 years for such a small cost (£2500 ish).

Why would you risk having a major mechanical issue for the sake of such a relatively small amount of money?

Kyodo is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by candellara View Post
    FWIW my BIL's 348 last cam belt change (3rd year) needed tensioner bearings and they were Hills items from 3 years previously with very little mileage
    I would've liked to have seen the worn Hill's bearings that had to be replaced or were they 'thrown out' before anyone could question it? Hill are a sponsor here and I wonder if they know their bearings have a shorter lifespan than oem

Oh, and £2.5k for belts isn't a small amount of money.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I would've liked to have seen the worn Hill's bearings that had to be replaced or were they 'thrown out' before anyone could question it? Hill are a sponsor here and I wonder if they know their bearings have a shorter lifespan than oem
    A car thatís done 20k miles in 3 years, or sat unused for 3 years - maybe. Anything between - not a chance would Hills bearings be worn out or close to it in 3 years.

Just think it through - a bearing has to be good for say 5k miles a year for 3 years on a car being used a couple of times a week. It must therefore be good for 1.5k miles a year for 6 years being used once a week. Iím talking no long periods without being used so it seizes etc. Has to be, itís illogical that it wouldnít be.

Iím all for servicing these cars Ďenoughí (whatever that is) but is taking the engine out every 3k miles perhaps overdoing it a bit? Could be argued it is.

Since my ownership Iíve done the belts once every 4 years. In the States most bank on 5. Seems like Harry thinks 6. Just food for thought really.

And my last service was £4700 as something was broken during the service costing me more that £2000 extra. Did I need to get the service done? All a little accademic

Kyodo is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I'm with you Pete 100%. I'll continue with a three-yearly belt change regardless of what info becomes available. Fortunately in a 360 it's not silly expensive.

Name
    Carper Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Regarding things like the bearings seizing, thatís one of the reasons I run my car fully up to temp every month over the winter.
    But Nos, you like a few other enlightened owners are fully de-humidified in an airchamber ( correct ? ), surely they cant seize up thru lack of use in such an environment

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    But Nos, you like a few other enlightened owners are fully de-humidified in an airchamber ( correct ? ), surely they cant seize up thru lack of use in such an environment
    Iíll let the engineers answer but I think any bearing can seize if itís left still for many months on end and Iím guessing belts can deform if under tension but never moved. Probably years rather than months but I donít think running the car in the winter hurts these components.

My whole garage is actually sealed and dehumidified but thatís as much for the launch monitor I have in there as it is for the car. Electronics and high speed cameras like humidity about as much as cars

Name:  F6C9C493-F09F-4E3C-B443-643F3A0031BC.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  90705938-1BFE-458A-9590-7191AFC9279F.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  48.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast