Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belts interval with modern belts

elt is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    paul elton

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Iíll let the engineers answer but I think any bearing can seize if itís left still for many months on end and Iím guessing belts can deform if under tension but never moved. Probably years rather than months but I donít think running the car in the winter hurts these components.

My whole garage is actually sealed and dehumidified but thatís as much for the launch monitor I have in there as it is for the car. Electronics and high speed cameras like humidity about as much as cars

Attachment 152769

Attachment 152770
    Thats why they pack bearings with grease not only for lubrication but to keep moisture out.

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by elt View Post
    Thats why they pack bearings with grease not only for lubrication but to keep moisture out.
    This^^
    If they arenít leaking externally they will be fine.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by elt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    This^^
    If they arenít leaking externally they will be fine.
    I agree guys. My garage isnít dehumidified to protect the bearings, the engine is run periodically to help keep them moving freely.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Francis Newman

I'm on my third set of belts in three years! But not because it was for the belts alone but with other things being done the cost of the belts was immaterial!. I might give it a rest for 3 years now !

Name
    Candellara

A car thatís done 20k miles in 3 years, or sat unused for 3 years - maybe. Anything between - not a chance would Hills bearings be worn out or close to it in 3 years.

Just think it through - a bearing has to be good for say 5k miles a year for 3 years on a car being used a couple of times a week. It must therefore be good for 1.5k miles a year for 6 years being used once a week. Iím talking no long periods without being used so it seizes etc. Has to be, itís illogical that it wouldnít be.
    The bearings were leaking grease - so not worn out, but for the very small cost of replacing them, they got renewed after 3 years. I thinks it more important that the engine comes out every three years if the car has very little use

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by candellara View Post
    The bearings were leaking grease - so not worn out, but for the very small cost of replacing them, they got renewed after 3 years. I thinks it more important that the engine comes out every three years if the car has very little use
    Fair enough

Name
    Carper Mike

Iíll let the engineers answer but I think any bearing can seize if itís left still for many months on end and Iím guessing belts can deform if under tension but never moved. Probably years rather than months but I donít think running the car in the winter hurts these components.

My whole garage is actually sealed and dehumidified but thatís as much for the launch monitor I have in there as it is for the car. Electronics and high speed cameras like humidity about as much as cars

Attachment 152769
    Lovely set up you have there

I better not let my son see that as he keeps going on about getting one.

He took up golf age 19 ( 18 months ago ) and has gone from 24 to 10 in that period and still scores 40+ points more often than not ( and certainly more often than me ! )

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    Lovely set up you have there

I better not let my son see that as he keeps going on about getting one.

He took up golf age 19 ( 18 months ago ) and has gone from 24 to 10 in that period and still scores 40+ points more often than not ( and certainly more often than me ! )
    Thanks.

If you guys are anywhere near Lincolnshire you’re welcome to come and have a bash. I run it through a GC2 launch monitor so it’s a good setup. I’ve done performance testing for the National Golf Academy in there and a few local Tour Pros use it from time to time. If your son is serious about improving I can see what sort of numbers he gets in terms of ball speed, launch angle, spin rates, carry etc and benchmark against scratch players, plus handicap guys, developmental tour players and guys who have played on the European Tour. Would obviously be free. He might find it interesting

Was actually supposed to be caddying for one of the tour pros yesterday but he missed the cut by a shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12