Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Car

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by SupercarSociety View Post
    This is a huge thing for the City of Lincoln, as it's been growing fast recently and wants to prove itself as a modern tech hub, which is not what Lincolnshire is traditionally known as!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    And my point is the city of Lincoln has bugger all to gain, not really. They certainly wouldn't pay to have it happen.

No way would the council pay. They might agree to allow the event to go ahead but they're not about to fork out for it.
    So on the one hand it's a huge thing for the City of Lincoln which has something to prove but it won't pay for the privilege and wants so one else so pick up the tab. Nice position to be in. No cost but all the benefit.

On the other hand it has nothing to gain.

Both cannot be right.

Name
    Phil

Default Scampton

And my point is the city of Lincoln has bugger all to gain, not really. They certainly wouldn't pay to have it happen. Why would they? You're talking the general population of the city, the vast majority of who won't go and will have zero interest in it, paying to have Supercars parked up for a day through their council tax. The council would just say "Go hold it at the showground and charge entry" but I doubt the event would be big enough to warrant that.

Around these parts if you want to go and look at flash cars (or any cars for that matter) we have regular 'Horsepower at the Hall' gatherings and if you own a Supercar and driving's more your thing as opposed to posing, SCD is actually based in these parts. The local FOC (run by Wibbers on here) is pretty active for the Ferrari crowd and there are active groups who have regular meets at the other end of the price spectrum like Lincs Driver.

No way would the council pay. They might agree to allow the event to go ahead but they're not about to fork out for it.

When I used to do the Scampton gatherings we used to ask for £10 per car but with zero costs and zero profit 100% of that went to Help for Heroes. Here any costs will be taken out of your £20 (and I'm surprised they're paying stalls to come, I used to charge them - captive audience for them and all that.....) and the profit will go to the organisers. Would have loved to have taken profit for all the faff of organising the Scampton meets each year but I've a nagging suspicion my Station Commander may have wanted a chat if I had

This is clearly a 'for profit' rather than 'for charity' event. If that offends then don't go. I confess I hadn't looked at the details when I first posted (owners paying rather than viewers). Doesn't bother me overly but I'm less inclined to go simply because I'm at a loose end.

Scampton was great. Loved it and thank you for organising. Does it still happen and will we ever get to do it again?
    Rgds
    Phil

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    So on the one hand it's a huge thing for the City of Lincoln which has something to prove but it won't pay for the privilege and wants so one else so pick up the tab. Nice position to be in. No cost but all the benefit.

On the other hand it has nothing to gain.

Both cannot be right.
    They're not; the first is 'sales patter' from a guy running the event, the second is true. You can't criticise the guys organising the event for bigging it up a little

For a large town / very small city, any idea how many people visit for the Christmas market (if they don't cry off because of snow)? Or the Waddington now Scampton airshow? About 150,000 to the airshow and a quarter of a million come for the Christmas market. That's 250,000 people coming to a town with a total population of about 95,000. Few flash cars parked down near the middle of town for a day isn't going to make a jot of difference to the city in any way at all.

The area they're going to be using isn't that big, Ken. I don't think you'd get the car displays I set up for the Scampton Families' Days that guys on here went to on there let alone a significant event in term of drawing people to the city. Sales patter, that's all
    Last edited by Nosevi; 31-03-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
    Scampton was great. Loved it and thank you for organising. Does it still happen and will we ever get to do it again?
    Rgds
    Phil
    The Waddington International Airshow is now at Scampton so it's a much bigger event. Guy I used to work with still runs it though I think. Can I say it'd probably be possible to go again and put on a car display but I'd need to think about whether I really want to get tied into organising it again - as events get bigger it tends to be more hassle organising that sort of thing. We used to all meet at the showground before hand if you recall, so we could get all the car clubs onto camp in an orderly fashion. The Showground would probably be out as it'll be taken over for parking for the airshow so we'd need to make other plans. Not undoable, just more hassle than before

Coningsby Families' day can be fun though. Maybe a possibility......

(Sorry for the thread hijack, Wayne )

milkshaker0007 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
    Scampton was great. Loved it and thank you for organising.

+1
    That was a fabulous day out me and my son will never forget Pete, up close and personal to the red arrows.
    Got a video of my son wearing his cap and the jet was just taxing back slowly and it blew off his head, Fab
    Many thanks Pete

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by milkshaker0007 View Post
    +1
    That was a fabulous day out me and my son will never forget Pete, up close and personal to the red arrows.
    Got a video of my son wearing his cap and the jet was just taxing back slowly and it blew off his head, Fab
    Many thanks Pete
    No probs

Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    The reality is that your assertion is simply not true:

If I attended your meet it would be the first one I have EVER paid to show my car.

Cars and coffee north west free
    Aintree free
    Supercar Sundayís at Myton Hall - free
    Gumball - Manchester stop - free
    Carfest - free to people showing cars
    Tatton Park - free
    Help for heroes
    Race for heroes
    The list goes on...

The only place I would pay to be an exhibitor of my car is at an auction.

You have to provide something for exhibitors such as track time or something for it to be of value to them IMO
    The prices for Carfest are for a music / car festival but they are FREE for exhibitors
    You missed Ormskirk out. Ormskirk is in the town centre and certainly up until 2016 was free (did not go last year). I know a few events have started charging the people displaying their cars but I personally think (as with Tatton etc) you charge the punters. Not easy to do in a town centre/city (I'm not sure how Ormskirk is funded) I suppose without charging the owners.

All that said Ormskirk and Didsbury are the only two events I have shown my car/s recently. I won't pay to show my car.

Name
    SupercarSociety

Thank you all for your comments, many of you have understood my initial reasoning, but overall I also understand the opinions of those that say it should be free to exhibitors.

I've discussed this with the team, and we've potentially secured some more stalls in the area meaning we can include some cars for free. It'd be great if we could get a area especially for members of this forum, so I'd like to gather names and see how many we can get. Who would be up for displaying their car on the day, for free?

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Coningsby Families' day can be fun though. Maybe a possibility......

Unless you know anyone at Marham ?

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post

Unless you know anyone at Marham ?
    Probably do, would have to check, but being selfish Coningsby is on my doorstep. Also for people coming up the day before and staying over with perhaps a nice meal there’s the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa. Probably beats staying over in Kings Lynn.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 12-04-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast