Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 550 Exhaust Centre Section

Name
    Lawson Smith

Default 550 Exhaust Centre Section

I have a late-2000 550 Maranello which is standard apart from Tubi back boxes.

They give a nice deep start-up and idle, if a bit resonant in the cabin at low speeds, but the engine tone is still very quiet in the cabin as you accelerate through the rev range.

I don't want the car to be a screamer, but do want to hear a bit more, and a bit of googling suggests that swapping the centre section to swap the middle silencers for straight pipes does the job without being too loud.

Tubi (2k+), Larini 800) and Supersprint (500) make these sections, and there are various choices of straight-through or slightly baffled, and X crosspipe or connected H pipe (apparently less resonant than the crossover type).

Question is, has anybody experience of any of these types, and are there recommendations (preferably for the North of England) for somebody who can remap the car after, as changing the centre boxes seems to require a bit of a mapping tweek.

Name
    cgt

I've had various combinations of centre section and rear boxes. On my most recent 550 I had the centre section (manufacturer is not relevant in my view as they all do the same job) combined with Tubi backbox (silencer type).

Tubi did two types, one with silencers and one without. Which do you have? On my 575 I had non silencer backboxes and it was pretty loud just with that.

For me that first mentioned combination (centre section/silenced Tubi backbox) was perfect, not too loud inside the car but a real growl and at higher revs sounded absolutely fantastic.

I didn't feel the need to remap, after replacing the centre section the car felt notably more throttle responsive and seemed to be quicker through the gears.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Name
    Lawson Smith

Thanks for that cgt, sounds ideal. I have the silenced Tubi boxes, so I'll look at options for having something fabricated in-situ for the centre as well as of the shelf.

Name
    Lawson Smith

Thank for that cgt, sounds ideal. I have the silenced Tubi back boxes so an in-situ fabricated centre section replacement is probably the way to go.

As an aside, as you've had more than one 550 you might be able to comment on this as well - the throttle return spring seems very heavy, making heel/toe hard to get the hang of, have you come across that as an issue or aware of alternative springs?

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

My 456GTM had a custom made centre x-pipe unsilenced and with the stock back boxes it was epic. 7,000rpm sounding like 14,000rpm.

Name
    Lawson Smith

Just to feed back in case any body else is interested in more sound from a 550 - had the centre boxes swapped out for a custom-made H pipe replacement section, and the result is perfect.

I bought the car fitted with Tubi back boxes which gave a nice deep start-up and idle (and a bit of cabin resonance at low speeds), but nothing to cause a 'tingle' as the revs rise under power. Grand tourer or not, the car was too quiet under load and at higher rpm.

I was cautious of over-doing it with straight-through pipes in the centre and was prepared to refit the standard box if it was too much, but it's lovely. Definitely not too loud or obtrusive, but now I can hear the character of the V12 as the revs climb.

Great result. I had it done by a Powerflow agent in Sheffield, their fabricator was a very experienced 'old school' mechanic who did a brilliant job with very tidy finish and perfect fit.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Excellent news.

No need to spend big bucks to get great sound...

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Thanks for the feedback - this is definitely something I need to do.

Do you have any pics of the completed section?

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

I have a Larini centre X section that is surplus to my requirements, and Im not far from you in Bradford.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    I have a Larini centre X section that is surplus to my requirements, and Im not far from you in Bradford.
    Only 350 miles away - meet you halfway?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast