Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is there any point of carrying a spare wheel?

redwedge is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pourquoi_ne View Post
    So why the f**k am I carrying it around? Perhaps you can come up with an answer?
    A few years ago I suffered a flat in the 355 and spent four hours at the side of the autostrade just outside Bologna waiting for a recovery truck to come to my aid. The temperature was in the mid-30s, the sun was blazing and the area stank of ****. An accident meant that it took a further two hours to get back to a garage in Bologna, where I had a three hour wait while they went to collect a pair of Michelin PSS in the correct fitment. My girlfriend was with me and the hospitable garage staff plied us with coffee and cakes, so it wasn't all bad. Mrs Redwedge didn't complain once (the car was quite new to us and we still found it hilarious/ridiculous/surreal that we were driving around Italy in my Ferrari!)

After that experience, given that I'll be driving over to Maranello in September, I've just bought a "Maserati 3200" spare wheel which is identical the proper 355 one, and a wheel bag for the dirty full-size wheel it is intended to replace. It will sit in the boot (or potentially behind the passenger seat - haven't tried it yet) with a wheel brace, jack and block of wood. I know for a fact that Mrs Redwedge would much rather cradle a wheel (or some of the contents of the boot) in her lap for a couple of hours than spend most of a day sitting at the side of the road, in a recovery truck and in a garage.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by redwedge View Post
    A few years ago I suffered a flat in the 355 and spent four hours at the side of the autostrade just outside Bologna waiting for a recovery truck to come to my aid. The temperature was in the mid-30s, the sun was blazing and the area stank of ****. An accident meant that it took a further two hours to get back to a garage in Bologna, where I had a three hour wait while they went to collect a pair of Michelin PSS in the correct fitment. My girlfriend was with me and the hospitable garage staff plied us with coffee and cakes, so it wasn't all bad. Mrs Redwedge didn't complain once (the car was quite new to us and we still found it hilarious/ridiculous/surreal that we were driving around Italy in my Ferrari!)

After that experience, given that I'll be driving over to Maranello in September, I've just bought a "Maserati 3200" spare wheel which is identical the proper 355 one, and a wheel bag for the dirty full-size wheel it is intended to replace. It will sit in the boot (or potentially behind the passenger seat - haven't tried it yet) with a wheel brace, jack and block of wood. I know for a fact that Mrs Redwedge would much rather cradle a wheel (or some of the contents of the boot) in her lap for a couple of hours than spend most of a day sitting at the side of the road, in a recovery truck and in a garage.
    Steve, don't need one at the moment but you never know......... take it a Maserati 3200 spare fits a 348 then?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2