Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any point of carrying a spare wheel?

pourquoi_ne is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    John

Default Is there any point of carrying a spare wheel?

I have a 360 with a spare wheel. It's heavy and it fills the luggage space. I religiously carry it around everywhere I go. I ask myself what possible use it would ever be to me. I am rarely out in the car without my wife. I haven't tried but I doubt if either a front or back wheel would fit in the front of the car. So if I have puncture what would do with the wheel? Put it on my wife's lap - er no. Leave her and get the puncture repaired or source a new tyre and return some hours/days later - definitely no. Hide the dodgy wheel somewhere, take the wife home and return in another vehicle to collect the wheel - probably no. Balance it on the glass bit over the engine and drive home slowly - no. So why the f**k am I carrying it around? Perhaps you can come up with an answer?

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default Is there any point of carrying a spare wheel?

Could a rear wheel fit behind the passenger seat?
    I carry a repair kit and compressor.....and an AA card [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pourquoi_ne is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Could a rear wheel fit behind the passenger seat?
    I carry a repair kit and compressor.....and an AA card [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No chance!!

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by pourquoi_ne View Post
    I have a 360 with a spare wheel. It's heavy and it fills the luggage space. I religiously carry it around everywhere I go. I ask myself what possible use it would ever be to me. I am rarely out in the car without my wife. I haven't tried but I doubt if either a front or back wheel would fit in the front of the car. So if I have puncture what would do with the wheel? Put it on my wife's lap - er no. Leave her and get the puncture repaired or source a new tyre and return some hours/days later - definitely no. Hide the dodgy wheel somewhere, take the wife home and return in another vehicle to collect the wheel - probably no. Balance it on the glass bit over the engine and drive home slowly - no. So why the f**k am I carrying it around? Perhaps you can come up with an answer?
    All very good points

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    All very good points
    +1

Perhaps why the spare wasn't optioned too often with the 360! I must admit I hadn't considered what you do with the wheel once it's off. I suspect the hide and seek option would be the most likely. I carry a canister of goop (with an extra couple if heading out on a road trip), a small cig' lighter powered compressor, have Ferrari assist as well as breakdown through our insurance policy! Belt and braces and all that

I'm interested in your repair kit Mike…
    Last edited by Kyodo; 13-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Name
    CPD

Me and punctures is NOT a good history.

When I get a new car for some reason I always seem to get a puncture and have trouble with the wipers - of all things (599 just had to have new wiper motor).

Spare wheels and the 'get me home' types are a waste of time these days IMHO. Regular cars are so over-tyres that the performance gap when a spare is fitted or gel applied is just too much. Remember with modern legislation you have to account for absolute idiots even though you put massive writing saying DO NOT EXCEED 50mph. "Well it didn't say I couldn't mash the throttle to 50!"

I just ensure I have breakdown cover which is fine as all you are ever going to get is a 48hour wait for a new tyre. The goo and inflators have never ever worked when I have had a puncture but I carry one for concours purposes

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I'm interested in your repair kit Mike…
    http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...air&highlight=

Use them all the time on the family cars. I'm always picking screws up.

I'd only see it as a temporary repair for a Y rated tyre though.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I'd only see it as a temporary repair for a Y rated tyre though.
    Absolutely. As an extra measure though, I'll look into throwing one in the boot

Thank you

Name
    John

Me too! Thanks for that!

Name
    Mark

A few years ago I did a European trip of 3000 miles in 2 weeks and thought carrying a spare would be a good idea.
    So I've got Volvo space savers in my cars. They need about 1 inch spacers to clear the calipers.

The other matter to consider is jacking up a Ferrari with a flat tyre as there is so little gound clearance. I originally thought of an inflatable bag jack but these don't work when you have 4 exhaust pipes. I was speaking to a friend with a XJ220 and they carry a block of wood to run the flat up onto so there is enough room for jack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast