Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When does an 'un-orginal' car become original?

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    I tend to think that Ferrari know best and get it right when it comes out of the factory.

Novitec don't just do body stuff, they fit superchargers etc to get more performance. All very clever but Ferrari could do the same themselves if they felt it was needed so why bother.

Alan Sayers' Koenig 512 is quite a beast and though not to my taste it is pretty striking.

The Breadvan was an development improvement on the SWB to compete with the GTO which Enzo wouldn't sell to Count Volpi. It was put together by ex Ferrari engineers who had worked on the GTO and that Enzo had recently sacked. It was built to win races and did. I think it is in a completely different category which Ferrari have recognised by giving it a Classiche white (?) book (which I think was started to recognise such historic cars). It was therefore a logical development project by guys who had worked for Ferrari and was relevant.
    The classiche thing is just silly though as it doesn't recognise period improvements. An acquaintance has just had his 250 Cali done and the much needed and fully documented brake upgrade that was done by the second owner was reversed in deference to 'originality'. That's just madness even if you don't plan to drive it.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    The classiche thing is just silly though as it doesn't recognise period improvements. An acquaintance has just had his 250 Cali done and the much needed and fully documented brake upgrade that was done by the second owner was reversed in deference to 'originality'. That's just madness even if you don't plan to drive it.
    Agreed

You should check out some of the Classiche threads on Fchat. Total stupidity.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    One word - taste

I suppose the two examples you've given were modified solely to win races, without a thought given to what anyone else thinks or style, whereas the modern-day Novitec etc stuff is styled to look like a race car, but is all for show - so lack authenticity. Are they that far removed from the Halfords Nova special?

Mods for performance reasons are fine in my book - what you and Mark have done to your F430s are fantastic; I've got a heavily modded JCW Mini myself. But the Novitec stuff is not for performance - there's no way people need that much downforce when they're too busy trying to keep the mileage down

Is it the 'look at me' generation's demand for attention, to stand out?
    Don't look at the 'stance' movement - that is consciously making performance worst in the pursuit of stationary aesthetics.

I don't know if anyone has done a Ferrari yet but it's only a matter of time as it's a fairly new modding genre.

Ooh hang on it's been done

Look away now

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/09/...ari-348-japan/
    Last edited by Modificato; 11-08-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Nosevi is offline I have no life Committee Member
    Name
    Nos

Nice car, pitty the axles have snapped.....

Name
    Mark

I love lowered cars as I come from the air-cooled VW scene (when it was fresh!) and I can appreciate with those and the old swing-axle set up, massive negative camber was largely unavoidable. This today is getting silly. Laughable in fact.

rivarama is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Paul

I think I just got a bit of vomit in the back of my mouth...

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Don't look at the 'stance' movement - that is consciously making performance worst in the pursuit of stationary aesthetics.

I don't know if anyone has done a Ferrari yet but it's only a matter of time as it's a fairly new modding genre.

Ooh hang on it's been done

Look away now

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/09/...ari-348-japan/
    Just awful, why would you modify a car to a point that it becomes un-driveable? Totally pointless!!!!!!

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by PACROCK View Post
    Just awful, why would you modify a car to a point that it becomes un-driveable? Totally pointless!!!!!!
    That is THE point, it is the way it looks when it's static and not moving that defines the whole 'stance' movement.

In many ways I see this as akin to the ultra low mileage high level concours movement.

Both are expressing extremes of nothing Ferrari ever intended but they happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12