Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F430 - Uneven tyre wear across axle

swnyradar is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Default F430 - Uneven tyre wear across axle

MOT today - passed fine but tester picked up that the rear tyres had a different tread depth, its quite significant - a few mm difference.
    I had only checked the driver side rear before the test and assumed the other side would be the same as they usually always are.

The tyres were new and fitted as a pair at the same time and I check tyre pressure before each drive - I haven't had the alignment done on the car since I've had it. No untoward noise apparent from the rear while driving.
    I'll drop the wheels off to have a look at the suspension and bushes / balljoints as soon as I have time.

Does anyone know what would could be a likely cause for this as I've never come across it before?

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    MOT today - passed fine but tester picked up that the rear tyres had a different tread depth, its quite significant - a few mm difference.
    I had only checked the driver side rear before the test and assumed the other side would be the same as they usually always are.

The tyres were new and fitted as a pair at the same time and I check tyre pressure before each drive - I haven't had the alignment done on the car since I've had it. No untoward noise apparent from the rear while driving.
    I'll drop the wheels off to have a look at the suspension and bushes / balljoints as soon as I have time.

Does anyone know what would could be a likely cause for this as I've never come across it before?
    Daft sounding question but are the tyres in question close in manufacturing year and month?

Tyres do age harden so what looks like two equal things are not always equal

Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Daft sounding question but are the tyres in question close in manufacturing year and month?

Tyres do age harden so what looks like two equal things are not always equal
    Not daft, just checked and...
    Worn tyre is from 2012 :

Name:  IMG_2044.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  54.7 KB

the other one is 2016 (both bought new just over 12 months ago from camskill

Name:  IMG_2046.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  60.6 KB

So we may well have the answer, thanks and buyer beware!

Name
    Ian Gilbert

I often see uneven wear on my daily transport which I put down to the road conditions. Through the lanes the tarmac near the hedge forms a gutter which can fill with gravel, leaves, and all kinds of non grippy debris. Under braking and acceleration there is often a degree of tyre slippage because of this which causes extra wear on the near side driven wheel.
    That said I suspect the roads you travel on are much better with probably no significant grip difference.

sssdu01 is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

The older tyre will have less grip so will slip and wear out quicker. As an example I was able to vaporize a set of factory fit pirelli's on the rear of my Elise in 6000 miles (with one track day). Replaced with some softer tyres and managed to get 7000 miles out of them (with 3 or 4 track days thrown in).

Conclusion from this careful scientific study is that softer tyres might last a bit longer, or you need to do track days

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    Not daft, just checked and...
    Worn tyre is from 2012 :

Name:  IMG_2044.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  54.7 KB

the other one is 2016 (both bought new just over 12 months ago from camskill

Name:  IMG_2046.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  60.6 KB
    So we may well have the answer, thanks and buyer beware!
    At this level of performance that is not good.

You have your answer

milkshaker0007 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    paul

Interesting, nice one Mod
    What are the odds, just checked mine as got me paranoid now, all four same month/year.
    As you say buyer beware

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by milkshaker0007 View Post
    Interesting, nice one Mod
    What are the odds, just checked mine as got me paranoid now, all four same month/year.
    As you say buyer beware
    The odds are relatively low but you have to be careful of bargains etc. Most reputable outlets would always suggest replacing tyres as a pair and I would not let any of my performance car tyres get over three years old. Remember your car was honed and developed (especially if it has modern stability and traction aids) on fresh rubber. I have seen it happen when owners say "I have only got a nail in one, please just change the one' and the tech will say "If you insist". They are then left with stock in a rare size that they may eventually sell. I had a rear go on my daily (puncture) and the pair were only 4
    Months old so I did one. My personal guide is that each tyre on each axle should not have more than 6 months make span between them and front to rear axle within 12months. I replace a lot of fronts that are not 'worn out' but fresh rubber is important to me. I know I am the geek engineer here and maybe the extreme case but these days even good rubber is about <1% of the new car value. It's also why I factor it into running costs of a lightly used Supercar.

Name
    David

I checked all mine when I purchased from Camskill, all were same date so I was happy, they were recommended too !!

Name
    Mike

These have arrived and will be fitted next week (full set). Looking forward to see what 10 + years tyre development feels like.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  52.3 KB
    Last edited by swnyradar; 27-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast