Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California T - real Ferrari?

Name
    Jeff S

I own a 458 and a 2017 Cali T touring especiale, in my opinion the Cali T is a better all around Car. Itís just as fast handles almost as good on the track and just as good on the road and is an every day driver (It is my daily driver). It is every bit a Ferrari. My car had an MSRP OF 305k. Most that I have seen sticker in the 265k range. Calling it an entry level anything is silly. The difference between it and other new Ferrariís is you can now get a good discount on a California.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...782d6f407e.jpg

Siy is offline Hairdresser's Mercedes SLK Club Member
    Name
    Simon

I have the older one too - and definitely prefer it my my F430 Spider - but then I have kids so it works better for me.

Nosevi is absolutely right though - its a 3 seater. I squeezed four of us in for a 15 minute drive, but my daughter sat behind me was definitely not very comfortable... but for short hops it's do'able

3 people work fine, with passenger seat a little forward and one child behind.
    Love the Cailfornia...!!!

Name
    CPD

The California is a Ferrari in much the same way that my Alfa 8C spider is an Alfa Romeo.

Sure marque fascists call it a Maserati but most snide comments are driven by jealousy.

On another note:-

The front engined V8's (don't forget the lusso) have enabled an increase in production volumes without diluting the previous tipos relative rarity. 8,000 cars a year or 160 / week is still such low volume all Ferrari remain 'special'.

By comparison Bentley make 200+ continental GT's a week, Audi make circa 3500 R8's a year.

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

The heart and soul of any Ferrari is the engine. It's ironic that people celebrate cars with a Ferrari 'heart' like the Fiat Dino and Lancia Thema 8.32, yet slag off the California

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Name
    CPD

It's all pretty moot these days anyway - the modern N/A Ferrari V8 (F136) was derived from a Maserati design and today you can by an MX5 badged as an Abarth.

Name
    birdseye

The days when "special" car makers like Alfa or Maserati of Jaguar made special engines and the rest of the car market was pushrod OHV 4 pots is long gone. Sure there are some differences left with things like titanium con rods giving high rev limits but those arent the reason that people pay £160k for a Cali or £200k for a 488. Nor IMO is it about performance since the few that can drive the likes of a 488 to its limit cant do so on the roads anyway. In stead its about brand with a capital B, pride of ownership, racing heritage, statement of wealth, appearance. Its the "I am a Ferrari owner" bit, not that I expect anyone on here to admit it.

I'm at the 100k end of the market. I've been looking at an early Cali, the one that Lovett have / had. Its a lovely car in lovely condition and I fancy it for the reasons above. But if I look at it logically, I can buy a Jag XKR for a third of the price and it will do, in real world use, exactly what the Ferrari will do.

But I still want the Cali for the reasons above. To my mind that proves its a real Ferrari - people are still willing to pay silly money for the badge on the boot.

MWStewart is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    In stead its about brand with a capital B, pride of ownership, racing heritage, statement of wealth, appearance. Its the "I am a Ferrari owner" bit, not that I expect anyone on here to admit it.
    Hand on heart none of the above applies to me: I just bought the best drivers car I could with the budget I had available. If that happened to be a model from another brand, I would have bought it instead.

I actually have a pretty dim view of Ferrari as a brand - I think they rip off customers more than VAG/Porsche, and that's saying something. They are just a business to me.

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Agree with Mark above - I bought mine because I'm a sucker for the history, and having a V12 was hugely important to me.

I still get a huge thrill even sitting at traffic lights knowing that there's 12 cylinders thumping away just next to my left foot [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Hand on heart none of the above applies to me: I just bought the best drivers car I could with the budget I had available. If that happened to be a model from another brand, I would have bought it instead.

I actually have a pretty dim view of Ferrari as a brand - I think they rip off customers more than VAG/Porsche, and that's saying something. They are just a business to me.
    +1

I graduated from a working class - council estate roots via fast Opel / Fords then through the JDM scene, to Bavarian metal (still my favourite brand) and into Ferrari

I only 'get' the "Ferrari family" thing when I am on factory organised events and mostly those outside the UK unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    I just bought the best drivers car I could with the budget I had available.
    That would never ever be a Ferrari then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast