Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Name
    Mark

16M tunnel loom going in. It contains the power source & relay part of the secondary air injection electrical system, and the fuse and two pin power supply connector for the ion module.
    Name:  8886.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  69.2 KB

I've gained a 40amp Maxi fuse and a black 50amp relay (not the red F1 relay next to it that I accidentally identified with the green arrow!) for the SAI system. F430's are built with a spare mounting stud for the SAI relay because emissions standards in some markets mean the system is required. The Scuderia Bosch engine ECUs are now installed - note the 'F131LP' code on the left bank ECU in shot, and also the E-Diff module.

F131 = code for the original 360 chassis ;
    E = 'Evoluzione' (evolution) - the modified chassis for the F430;
    LP = The Scuderia code suffix. I don't know the official term, but I estimate 'Leggero prestazione' (lightweight performance).
    Name:  8884.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  74.0 KB

A very minor point; I tracked down the fuse type that Ferrari use which feature an opaque rather than translucent plastic shroud. The manufacturer is MTA, Italy.
    Name:  8892.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  37.2 KB

Interestingly, the Scuderia uses aluminium rather than steel brackets for the electrical modules. They are, of course, lighter! I have swapped my original brackets for them.
    Name:  8890.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  8888.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  52.9 KB

All in the conversion to Scuderia management is weight neutral, so I haven't recorded everything in my sheet: the F430's four knock sensors with shielded wiring back to the ECUs, and heavier steel brackets that were removed are offset by the Scuderia ion module and relay loom. I think that's excellent given the significant improvement in knock detection.

I estimate a relaxed weekend's worth of work away from testing the new management - I can't wait for that.

N.B. excuse the low quality photos.

Name
    Mark

I have a spare set of inner and outer carbon sills, if anyone is looking. Twill weave gloss. Used with some scuffs but still presentable - I should imagine they'd machine polish back to A1. If I get time I'll do it.
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  79.8 KB
    Last edited by MWStewart; 27-01-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Name
    Mark

Scuderia Engine Management Conversion - Electronics Completed and Tested
    The SAI solenoid is located on part of the gearbox A frame support. I added a rivnut (left) to the frame part and Dad fabricated an aluminium mirrored version (left) of the existing inlet manifold crossover solenoid (right).
    Name:  DSC01998.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  62.1 KB

Here are the SAI solenoid and oil breather 'blow by' solenoid in place. For the purposes of testing the electronics I left the standard F430 disareator tank in place with some temporary plumbing to adapt it to the Scuderia cam cover plumbing & blow-by solenoid.
    Name:  DSC02000.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  117.7 KB

The final electronics fitment work was to mount the ion sending knock detection module. For this task I did not have any 16M reference photos to go from and the parts diagrams were not much help. The loom routing and connector positions did help identify the general location for the module, but the fine-tuning took a little thought. Having settled on the front right area of the engine bay I found two existing M6 tapped holes in part of the Spider roof frame - present on both sides but the right pair were an ideal sport for the bracket mount.

Whilst I was figuring out the breather system my Dad made a card template and version of an alloy bracket.
    Name:  DSC02030.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  93.7 KB
    Name:  DSC02037.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  61.3 KB

Here is the first bracket installed. Testing with the engine bay trim panel revealed that there was insufficient clearance for the additional can bus wiring connector to the side of the module. Despite appearing otherwise in the photo space was really tight: there is a roof hydraulic hose at the rear, part of the roof frame at the front, a trim panel overhead, and a certain amount of clearance required below to secure the electrical connectors in situ.
    Name:  DSC02039.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  90.2 KB

A second version of the bracket was made after some further testing.
    Name:  DSC02048.jpg
Size:  85.1 KB

V2 installed. It fits perfectly.
    Name:  DSC02075.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

With all of the electrical systems now installed it was time to test and the first step was to ensure the immobiliser synced up to the virgin right bank engine ECU. A turn of the key showed that the immobiliser/code warning lamp illuminated and then went out, as it should. Test one pass.
    The second test was to ensure the 'CHECK OK' message appeared and went. I am slightly sceptical about the real value of this check/message but nevertheless: test two pass.
    Name:  DSC02035.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB

The third and final test was to ensure the engine ECUs did not log any DTCs; none logged would prove that my wiring is correct and the new ion module, SAI system components, and blow-by solenoid were functional. This test was also a pass.
    Name:  DSC02031.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  40.3 KB

Electronics complete!

Scuderia Engine Management Conversion - Oil Breather System - Part 2
    A quick recap in pictures of the difference between the F430 and Scuderia 'Disareator' tank and associated plumbing.
    Name:  8860.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  8862.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  59.3 KB

I was about to order the Scuderia disareator but first decided to perform a quick sanity check of the tank body itself, and it was then I discovered that the tank was the same on late F430s and it was just the outlets that were different. I removed my oil tank and decided I could neatly modify it to the required spec.
    Name:  DSC02055.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  87.8 KB

For reference here's a photo of my original tank before modification. I cut off the two 'ears' that are plumbed in to the cam covers and interestingly I found that despite using a ~14mm or 9/16" ID hose, the connection points on the disareator body were welded up to a tiny 1mm hole. The dry sump system should maintain a near vacuum in the crankcase - helped by the firing order of the flat plane crank which means crankcase volume remains reasonably consistent, so I should imagine the cam breathers are for the few occasions when there is a positive crankcase pressure. This discovery has led me to think the valve and solenoid arrangement on the Scuderia oil system are to help maintain the crank vacuum based on RPM and requested throttle.

I used Nitromors to strip off the crackle finish powder coat in the areas to be modified and will return to this later to remove all traces.
    Name:  DSC02041.jpg
Size:  76.5 KB

Original F430 cam breather points being welded up and two additional spigots added for the Scuderia system.
    Name:  20180205_171432.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  68.7 KB

Service Items
    My car will hit 30k soon enough and that's when there is a major service due, so given it already has new coolant and microfilter I decided to fit new air filters and spark plugs now. From memory that leaves PAS fluid, oil & filter, and possibly the A/C dryer for Christian Lewis.
    Name:  DSC02010.jpg
Size:  69.0 KB

I understand that these cars run rich with aftermarket manifolds and the colour of my plugs would tend to suggest that. If keeping with F430 management I would have gone for a remap, but the problem goes away on the Scuderia management which is configured for a lack of pre-cats.
    Name:  DSC02013.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  84.3 KB

Cam Cover Heat Shields
    When refitting my cam covers I noticed that the heat shields had cracks around the mounting points. It doesn't help that 15mm washers are used - too thin IMO. I have made some reinforcement ears out of Nimbus and in addition replaced the Ferrari washers with 25mm stainless versions.
    Name:  DSC02016.jpg
Size:  56.4 KB
    Name:  DSC02020.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  94.8 KB

Shields fitted with reinforcement ears and 25mm stainless washers.
    Name:  DSC02025.jpg
Size:  91.7 KB

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Opens Club Scud - sees new update - settles in for more knowledge share.

Canít reciprocate as I am working in allergy drug development this week!

From hay fever suffering rats to 16M omaggio in an hour...

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Mark,

Have you prices the heat shields [emoji4]
    Ferrari really know how to to gouge money with those.
    I did the same fitting larger washers.

Great stuff! There canít be much left to do now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Opens Club Scud - sees new update - settles in for more knowledge share.

Can’t reciprocate as I am working in allergy drug development this week!

From hay fever suffering rats to 16M omaggio in an hour...
    Interesting career you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Mark,

Have you prices the heat shields [emoji4]
    Ferrari really know how to to gouge money with those.
    I did the same fitting larger washers.

Great stuff! There can’t be much left to do now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't, Mike. I can imagine...

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Interesting career you have!
    :
    When paid to solve problems one will never be out of work nor bored ;-)

Name
    CPD

Default End of term report - 8 years ownership

Well it probably the last time I will piggy back marks thread and what started as some upgrades and cosmetic enhancements has turned into the most rewarding project I have ever had with a car. The F430 came back on Monday having had its annual service and rear main seal done. I also had a clutch put in even though the original was only 50% worn. I wanted to leave the car in a state such that any new owner has nothing to do for at least 30,000 miles. What I have learned during this project.

Even though an F430 is tooled and designed as a low volume car it's Alcoa chassis, engine and power train are epic. It no coincidence that in period it was hailed as something "way way beyond anything else in the market place". The technology added is largely problem free and the issue that the car does have really me down to missing some vital areas of development and he contrast between the testing cases in Maranello - which are brutal - versus the actual use cases of UK owners.

We will start with the latest first.

My rear main seal went because my annual mileage went below 1,500miles for the first time and it including a period of inactivity for four months. This killed the seal and thus it had to be changed sharpish so we did it right away and combined an annual service and clutch. The bill for this was just shy of £6k and we of course did new flywheel bolts etc. I simply have no idea why a 430 clutch shouldn't last 45-50k miles and I am pretty suspect of those that don't. I have owned the car since virtually new and its wear rate has been 100% consistent throughout my ownership. I have never used launch control, but have used the sports start mode listed in the manual lots. My ownership also included city centre driving and lots of auto mode use which again I simply don't get the criticism of. As an aside my 599 has the later Superfast F1 but apart from faster cog swaps the 430 is so close in comparison it's not the leap forward you would want to think it is. Auto modes are very similar. One aspect I did notice early on was that if you change down to first manually at anytime on the move it slips the clutch a lot. I stopped doing this and thus it became a habit to let the car do it just as you come to a stand still which it does with the major slippage.

The suspension set-up needs to be tip-top and I am happy to report that once changed to hills / superformance items what were once an annual hassle and Amber / red at service have proven 100% reliable. Doing this costs £6k but the investment is worth it and you end up doing it on a rolling basis anyway and not enjoying what the car should be.

Interior leather and trim has been brilliant with no real visual wear at all in 24k miles. I have concluded that many cars are clocked. It can be the only explanation when I looked at some used 430's for sale. I would not buy another V8 without harnesses and carbon seats and that is making the Speciale search tiring as its right up there as my number one optional requirement. The driving sensations that it transmits are something I simply cannot do without. All the carbon is still shiny as the day it was bought and have not dulled or worn at all. Again if I was spec'ing a new car that is something I would do. Radio / nav is barely usable (but why would you with WAZE anyway) Bluetooth is okay just. Exterior wise the car is brilliant at keeping its looks and the design has aged wonderfully well IMHO.

Exhaust - ah the exhaust system.

I terrible blight on the model and the brand. Nothing good to say about the stock system at all and sorry to say neither of the SIX systems I tried along the way. My car had three sets of factory manifolds (all under warranty) and the stainless ones made in China were way better than the Maranello item. Ceramic coating which is well known to the Ferrari GT cars worked better than all the wadding and heat shielding put together. The weight reductions were immense too. The worst part though was various silencers that copied the stock silencer location. They hold and supply heat into the engine bay right next to the airbox and none of them create the sound we all crave. 355 / 360 CS. Fact is that even with the final system I ended up with - factory sports system - it doesn't quite reach the former tipo scream (it's a capacity thing) aesthetically it's better than all the systems I tried and when you open the engine compartment you wonder how the hell it took so long to figure it out. The factory units appear to have all gone now as they cleared the dead stock but I would recommend the tubi homolagted system it is based on as you will be less likely to be black flagged too.

The rear lights are a bad joke and having been bodged up from a previous light they should and could be improved by the factory or supplier. For now DIY is the only solution but I rarely meet a 430 without a wobbly / rattling rear light. Luggage space is amazing and in mine the carbon and leather case volumes mean that long distance touring is do-able.

Servicing costs once the big issues above were sorted were avg £1000 per year

Circa £30k of big stuff finishing Ferrari's development for them - exhaust / headers / mounts / suspension / rear lights / clutch / seal / bearing.

Tax and insurance costs were circa £1500 per year and original purchase price was £100k
    Average mileage was 2,400 per annum.

I spent a huge amount on dealer fit options and parts but I haven't included that in the above.

So we have some ideas of the true costs of running and using a 2005-2009 era V8

Depreciation has been zero but mainly due to the work above. I would pay £90k for a similar spec / age car but expect to put he same money into addressing the issues. My car was going to be an approved car but the deal fell through when they wanted to have my pants down on the car I was buying so - would I buy the highly spec,d' approved cars at £110+ ?

Yes but only if they had upgraded the exhausts and suspension components so actually NO.
    Would I buy the manual cars at 130k plus? NO.

Have really loved my 430 experience and it's the longest I have kept any car or any Ferrari so that says a lot.

Woody is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    John

Quote from your post above:

My rear main seal went because my annual mileage went below 1,500miles for the first time and it including a period of inactivity for four months. This killed the seal and thus it had to be changed sharpish so we did it right away and combined an annual service and clutch. The bill for this was just shy of £6k and we of course did new flywheel bolts etc

Your quote from 458 starter motor problem in the Technical Q & Aís:

I start my cars throughout winter just to get everything exercised and warmed through. These are mechanical machines that need movement.

Name
    Andy

He proved his own point then.

Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast