Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 348 Re-trim

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

This will give a better idea of some of the detail as well as the seat a bit better than the previous yellow pics.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Name
    Nos

I commented earlier on the vinyl that was used in Ferraris at about this time. Clearly it's down to individual taste to a certain degree, but I chose to strip it out and replace it with the same leather that I had the doors trimmed in. This gives an idea of the difference. Some may prefer the slightly shinier original, I just prefer it a bit more matt and with a finer grain. as was pointed out, this isn't going to score well with any concours judges.

Name
    Nos

Lastly just a few shots of what's currently left of my car. My carpet looked pretty good when it was in, it's not till everything was taken out that it showed it's true colours - quite literally. Faded in places, dirt ground in in others, and pretty ragged. As I said looked ok in the car. This also shows some bits all bagged up etc. Guessing you have to on this. And lastly my car interior right now. As I said, bit more than a re-trim, will have to see how it looks at the end. Will keep you posted.

Name
    Clive

Pete

The pics give a great taste as to how good your car will be. The stripped out interior looks a little scary at the mo - when is it all due to be back together?

By the way, on the concours front, Ray Ferguson won with both his 348's when thay had (some) new leather!

Can't wait to see the result.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE77 View Post
    Pete

The pics give a great taste as to how good your car will be. The stripped out interior looks a little scary at the mo - when is it all due to be back together?

By the way, on the concours front, Ray Ferguson won with both his 348's when thay had (some) new leather!

Can't wait to see the result.
    Hi Clive. You're not wrong re the scary pic of everything stripped out - just hope his labelling was good on all those wires etc. It's all due to be done in about 2 weeks time. On the concours front, it's not really my thing, tbh. I'll go and take my car next year but I'm not so sure about entering and having someone point out every bit I've changed. I'm kind of doing my car how I want her, still trying to keep a classy look but I am changing a few bits and bobs. The dash and windscreen surround being matt leather rather than vinyl for instance will change the look, some may not like it but I just wanted it that way. We'll have to see how it looks when it's all back together.

Name
    Nos

Well, she's finally done! Car was away for just shy of 8 weeks but I'm really pleased with the result. Every interior panel was retrimmed including ECU covers, roof storage inserts, back shelf, round windows, the lot. Also had new carpet put in as mine looked pretty awful once you had taken all the trim out and had a look at it - faded in parts, ground in dirt in others. In the pics some of the shots of carpet look a little pink (passenger side foot well for example) but that's just how the light hit it, it's more like the colour in the other shots. Lastly a shot of her back in the drive - finally!

AJ3XX is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Andy

Looks good Pete

I'll ask - how much ?

(PM if top secret)

Ferrari 348 - "still stands out from a crowd but yet still fits in” - Randy Stetson

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

That looks really nice Pete, a credit to the guys that did it

have you got any pics of the carpets going in.Just to see how they did it ??

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    That looks really nice Pete, a credit to the guys that did it

have you got any pics of the carpets going in.Just to see how they did it ??
    Thanks Steve. I'll ask the guy who did the work as I didn't see it go in.

I decided to get other carpet as opposed to going for a new set from Ferrari which did cause some problems as obviously it wasn't moulded as the original is and as the main piece is all one bit it wasn't straight forward to do. Round the inner wheel arches were the only difficult area and you can see where he's had to work the carpet a bit to get it to work. It looks good and you would never know that it's a 'compromise' unless you know how the original looks but the carpet is a bit thicker than the original and is wool based which I wanted. You'll also probably notice in some places there's a red leather edge that isn't there on the original (edge of centre console). This is basically because the carpet is thicker than the original. That leather trim is also on all the bits that have it on the original carpet.

So all in all some compromises in order to get the carpet I wanted but it works pretty well.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by AJ3XX View Post
    Looks good Pete

I'll ask - how much ?

(PM if top secret)

Hi AJ, no not top secret but comes with a covering note as it wasn't all that cheap. When I say everything is retrimmed, I do mean everything. Bits that are a tad out of the way were still done so the whole interior matches. An example of this is inside the rear roof arches and under the rear roof arch round the lights, switches and cloth trim areas. Also every bit of leather or vinyl covered trim (and there were way more than I thought) was stripped and retrimmed. And it was in good scottish leather - had to buy 4 hides.

Anyway, enough excuses. The bill was £6K

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast