Thread: Model 330 identification needed

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

Default Model 330 identification needed

Anybody know what this is supposed to be a model of?

It's advertised as a 330P but it doesn't look anything like the 330Ps on the net, unless it's just a terrible recreation

Thinking it might be a 330TR but not sure
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Not sure but the rollbar is certainly not period so it could be a rebody of something else. Otherwise it looks somewhat like the 268 SP (front car in the picture). Like a lot of early-ish Ferraris the type number depends on the engine and the similar bodies were fitted to different engine sizes. Paul and Francis are better at this than me!

Jonathan

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

Thanks for trying

Already have a 268SP model which looks like the one in your picture so don't think it's a poor attempt at one of those

It seems to exist as a genuine Ferrari as I found a pic of one, complete with roll bar, parked next to a 330P, albeit minus any kind of description

As is the way, I can't find the same website again or I'd post a pic of it

Name
    GrandmasterG

Found it

Only a partial pic but seems to be the same car

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Found it

Only a partial pic but seems to be the same car
    Well that's a 196 SP, I think, which looks very similar to a 268 SP. As previously stated the rollbar is a later addition. Here's a link for you: http://www.conceptcarz.com/z18233/Fe...6-SP-Dino.aspx

Jonathan

Name
    GrandmasterG

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
    Well that's a 196 SP, I think, which looks very similar to a 268 SP. As previously stated the rollbar is a later addition. Here's a link for you: http://www.conceptcarz.com/z18233/Fe...6-SP-Dino.aspx

Jonathan
    I think you've solved the mystery You're a genius

Thanks

Name
    Paul Harris

To me it looks like a very poor attempt of the 196 SP/246 SP, more specifically chassis # 0790. Since being sold to Germany in 2007 it has been fitted with this roll over bar for historic racing.

What scale is the model? Looks to be a 1/18 Burago or Hotwheels 250 LM than has been used as a donor.

Picture attached of 0790 at the Nurburgring in 1962 (copyright:Rainer W. Schlegelmilch) and a more modern one from the same venue some 47 years later (copyright RA Historian-Autosport Forum).

Paul

Name
    GrandmasterG

Quote Originally Posted by thepinkumbrella View Post
    To me it looks like a very poor attempt of the 196 SP/246 SP, more specifically chassis # 0790. Since being sold to Germany in 2007 it has been fitted with this roll over bar for historic racing.

What scale is the model? Looks to be a 1/18 Burago or Hotwheels 250 LM than has been used as a donor.

Picture attached of 0790 at the Nurburgring in 1962 (copyright:Rainer W. Schlegelmilch) and a more modern one from the same venue some 47 years later (copyright RA Historian-Autosport Forum).

Paul
    i agree that it's a poor copy. Think i'll give this one a miss now that we know what it's supposed to be.
    it's 1/18 scale. Not sure what it's based on but most of these recreations are built on a 250 LM or TR

Name
    John

Default OLD FERRARI RACERS

I think that Paul is on the button but it is worth noting that it is not unusual to see two examples, restored by 2 separate but equally expert restorers, with quite significant differences. This is often seen at the major US events, such as Laguna Seca or FCA.

This may depend upon whether Fredrico or Alberto actually fabricated the original body; whether the restorer decided to incorporate some period modification or, perhaps, the later restorer was able to gain access to more or better contemporary pictures of the original car. And of course some wonderful cars were messed with to take part in later race series at a time when they were just worthless old nails.

As someone once said, the more you know about older Ferrari, the more you realise just how little
    you do know!

John